Tilt Sensor Question

jcollinson

Cadet
I have a question about the sensors.

I just got this boat and have to use the Trailer button to tilt the outdrive up since the up/down button wasnt working. I see where the wires have coroded thru and luckily I can take off the sensor by turning it alll the way to one side or the other. I see where the wires go thru the back, how does water not go thru the same hole. It seems that it would very easily. Should it be sealed with sealant??

I plan on soldering the wires up to the new sensors, and running wire straight back thru that same hole, unless there is any other way to bypass it???

I have heard of people bypassing also? Is that what I was doing by using the trailer button.

Sorry if its a dumb question. New to the whole boating things and learning alot!!
THanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tilt Sensor Question

The 2 screws holding the TL switch onto the gimbal ring have to be removed to remove the switch. If the wires corroded off at the unit, it's junk and needs replaced.
Yes, people bypass them by just using the trailer button, or hook the wires together inside the boat and use the regular trim switch.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK you are talking about the trim limit switch, on the port side of the gimbal ring. There is a rubber grommet that seals the hole where the wires pass through the transom. No sealant is used. The problem is the procedure to properly replace the switch involves removing the bellhousing and bellows. MAJOR PITA. You could try repairing the wires by soldering and using liquid tape. You can bypass the switch. Locate the two black wires that go into two connectors back by the transom. One has two blue/white wires, and the other a purple/white wire. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the two connectors. The trim switch should work. Be careful when you use it because there will no longer be an upper limit (it will work same as the trailer switch).

dubs283

Vice Admiral

repairing the switches/wiring is NOT recommended by mercruiser, especially if the repair is on the outside of the boat

there is a high probability that stray voltage will occur and that can wreak havoc not only on your boat, but others as well

if the clamp for the through transom plug has one bolt on the lower port side, you don't even have to pull the drive to replace the senders