transom repair

04whitetb

Seaman Apprentice
whats the best matierial to make a new transom? and what tool is best to cut through fiberglass to expose old wood?my boat is a 1977 glastron t166 sportster 85hp outboard.thankyou.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transom repair

You should try in the repair thread. Tons of info there.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

whats the best matierial to make a new transom? and what tool is best to cut through fiberglass to expose old wood?my boat is a 1977 glastron t166 sportster 85hp outboard.thankyou.

Plywood is the material of choice for your transom. I personally use marine grade plywood, but other types are okay too. Many use regular exterior grade plywood from the local home center.

A good 4" angle grinder will make quick work of removing the fiberglass. (24 grit)

brianteel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am just finishing mine. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" ply wood then biaxal fiberglass to hold it in there. I used a cutting wheel for an air tool then a 40 grit sanding wheel on an angle grinder to get the excess off. make sure you measure the wood thickness before you start. I did not and used wood that is too think for the original metal caps. No matter what wood you use make sure you seal it good with epoxy resin before you you start installing it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

No matter what wood you use make sure you seal it good with epoxy resin before you you start installing it.

You can use epoxy or polyester resins and matt....the poly is cheaper, (poly is my choice) but either are okay.

04whitetb

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys, the tips are very helpful.i have an angle grinder,when i get the fiberglass off i'll be sure to measure first.i'll use marine grade plywood. hopefully the old wood can be used as a template? once the old is out and the area cleaned up,do i have to adhere the new wood into the transome?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

once the old is out and the area cleaned up,do i have to adhere the new wood into the transome?

Yes you do.....a few layers of CSM (maybe more if it's not real flat) and resin will bond it well. You'll need to have your clamping system ready to go before you mix up anything. Make a few trial runs with whatever method you're going to use for clamping. Once the resin is mixed and applied you don't have time to figure out how you're going to clamp it.

Oh and have all your matt cut and ready too of course.

You can also use a layer or two of matt and resin between the two layers of plywood. I usally laminate the two pieces of plywood first and let it cure and then set the whole thing in at once.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

hopefully the old wood can be used as a template?

Doubtful. Sometimes you can get away with it on an aluminum boat (cuz the wood just slides out) but rarely on a glasser. I wouldn't kill myself trying to preserve it's shape. A big sheet of corrugated or foam will help you make a nice template once you have the old wood removed.

local825

Seaman

i used SEA-CAST i think it came out good, I used a grinder with a 4" sircular blade than a saw-all had to get a rasp to chip up the wood, I just posted some pic in boat restoration tell me what you think, I have done 3 so far for other people and they love it!!!!!!!!! if you need some info pm-me.......

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cadwelder,

I had actually called them yesterday and they have it for $85. Leaving in a minute to pick up a couple of sheets.

Bart

04whitetb

Seaman Apprentice
1977 glastron t166 sportster question

1977 glastron t166 sportster question

i have a 1977 glastron t166 trihull ,merc 850. i am going to replace the transom wood. where would be the best place to cut the fiberglass to remove the wood? i don't want to weaken the structure any. i'm totally new at this, never attemted this job before.any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1977 glastron t166 sportster question

Transom removal is normally done from the inside so there is no cutting of the outside fiberglass.

Take a look at out restoration threads. ;)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well mostly you'll be removing the top cap first, but if you've never done anything like this, it will be a challenge, but it can be done.

I would strongly suggest doing a search here, (transom replacement) and doing a lot of reading, as there are tons of the same type project already done here by other memebers.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, I included tax, about 90 out of your pocket....

04whitetb

Seaman Apprentice
1977 glastron t166 transom repair

1977 glastron t166 transom repair

thanks so much for the seacast tip! thats the best idea for transom repair scince sliced bread! i never herd of such a product. i checked it out on the web and will soon be getting a 2 gallon pail. it'll cut down my repair time conciderably. thanks again.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 glastron t166 transom repair

thanks so much for the seacast tip! thats the best idea for transom repair scince sliced bread! i never herd of such a product. i checked it out on the web and will soon be getting a 2 gallon pail. it'll cut down my repair time conciderably. thanks again.

You really should keep all of this in the same thread....if I'm seeing this right, you have two on the same boat already....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just merged your three threads that were all on the same topic......