Hesitation when throttling up

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
1998 3.0GS PWTR. I noticed the boat has a hesitation when punching the throttle. If you are going slow and go to pull up a skier or something it will hesitate/sputter for about 3-4 seconds then it takes off and runs fine.

This is what I have done to try to solve this problem:

1. I bought a factory Holley rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb, I soaked the carb pices in Chem clean then used carb cleaner and a air hose to blow all the passages out.

2. replaced the plugs

3. Pulled the stone filter out of the fuel pump and cleaned it. I was going to replace it but bought the wrong filter element replacement , so I just blew it out real good with carb cleaner and put it back in. I also changed out the stone filter at the carb, and I added a water separator/filter.

I am still having this problem. The only thing I have not done is check the timming, I need to buy the timing tool. I beleve the tool I need is p/n 885163 is this correct? Also where do I hook up a shop tach to on the engine to verify proper RPM,s during timming?

Any other hints would be appreciated.
Thanks
KMDisland

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hesitation when throttling up

Did you adjust the idle mixture screws after starting the engine? The settings for them is only a PRELIMINARY adjustment.

Yes, that is the correct timing tool part number.

Also where do I hook up a shop tach to on the engine to verify proper RPM,s during timming?
Depends on the tach, could be to a plug wire, could be the coil could be ________.