Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha 1 Power Steering Chatter at the ram

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,
I'm new forums and I hope I don't screw this up too bad so here goes. As stated in the title, the power steering on my Mercruiser 5.0 has a chatter at the steering ram if you change direction quickly or get within a half turn of the wheel from the stop in either direction. I have followed the bleed procedure over and over again until no air has bubbled up into the reservoir. Steering takes the same amount of effort whether the engine is running or not and it is not excessive effort. If you pull the cap on the reservoir with the engine running the fluid does not appear to be moving at all even when the wheel is moved. Comparing the feel of mine to my brothers OMC Cobra P/S I dont' think my system is working at all which gets me thinking the pump is to blame. I bought the boat with a bad engine caused by improper winterization and I put a new long block in it last summer. I did however make one mistake...I forgot to re-fill the power steering pump reservoir before the first run on the hose.:facepalm: I ran it for about fifteen minutes with the system empty...fire away, I deserve it. All joking aside, could the pump be cooked? I have always known those Saginaw pumps to be near indestructable on a vehicle. Are there any other possibilites as to the cause of my steering issues? All help is greatly appreciated and I look for to your inputs. I've been reading this forum for a few months now and you guys are spot on with your info.

Last edited:

cr2k

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha 1 Power Steering Chatter at the ram

Well that or the pump shaft is broken internally.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If the cable is gettin' corroded inside the aluminum tube at the transom, that can cause chattering...

I'd pull the return line off the pump, 'n run it abit to see if it's flowing...

zbnutcase

Commander

Chances are the pump is fine...I have seen 'em run a full season empty with no ill effects...

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the inputs. I just got the boat out of storage today and I'm going to check the cable and try cracking the lines to see if she's pumping. I worked on fighter jets for ten years and now a GM power steering system is getting the best of me...I'll let you know how it works out.

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all,
Sorry it took so long to get back on here but here's what went down with my P/S problem. I disconnected the cable from the ram and it was still tough to move. With the cable out of the boat I could barely move it by prying on the rack with a screw driver. It loosened up a lot by working ATF and PB Blaster into it, but I am definitely in need of a new one at the tune of $209.99. The initial engine run on the boots showed significant improvement in steering performance. I can go to the stops quickly with no chatter at all and the steering is light and responsive. I still get a very slight flutter if I change direction quickly because the cable is still binding a little. The chatter I had before was extremely violent so I am content with this for now. All in all, it is working 99% better than it was before:D. I will run this cable for the season and get a new one next year. Are there any tricks for loosening these things up once they have corroded like this? Or is it like every other boat cable in that once it goes bad, it's done(I think I know the answer)? Also...What would be a good preventative measure to take against this corrosion once I get my new cable? I've heard of the soak in a tub full of ATF trick. Are there any others? Thanks for all the help. Nice job hittin the bullseye on this Bond-o.

Bondo

Staff member

Or is it like every other boat cable in that once it goes bad, it's done(I think I know the answer)?

Ayuh,.... Cables are Non-serviceable items...
Did ya find any Crud inside the aluminum tube on the transom that the cable deadends in,..??

Generally speakin', they don't go Bad very often...
Mine is nearly 40 years old, 'n still as smooth as silk...

Like about Anything mechanical, Sittin' is what kills 'em...
Runnin' 'em keeps thing movin'...

Besides,... in boatin' terms, a brand new helm, 'n cable is relatively reasonably Cheap...

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was absolutely zero corrosion in the aluminum tube on the transom. All of the corrosion was isolated to the inside of the cable on the end that attaches to the steering arm on the transom. For good measure I still cleaned the tube out with a bore swab for a .20Ga shotgun and put a light film of grease in there with another swab. I figured there was no "cure" for the binding but hey a guy can dream can't he? LOL. The fact that the previous owner docked the boat all summer without a water proof mooring cover in the Adirondacks spelled doom for my steering cable and probably some others that haven't acted up as of yet. And you are absolutely right about the price of the repair compared to what it could've been. I am just at the end of my season prep funding having just rebuilt my trailer because it was literally falling apart at the end of last year. Thanks for all the help, this forum has given me everything I expected and then some.

Bondo

Staff member

For good measure I still cleaned the tube out with a bore swab for a .20Ga shotgun and put a light film of grease in there with another swab.

Ayuh,... No reason to be stingy with the Grease in that particular application.... ;)

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Point well taken...I will commence to covering the tube with a reasonable slather of grease. Take care.