Rustoleum Primer

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a question for all Rustoleum users.

Would you use Rustoleum Primer on an aluminum boat by rubbing vinegar to etch prior to putting the primer on?

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rustoleum Primer

I just used rusto self etching primer on an aluminum boat i am fixing up for my dad, seems to have worked pretty well, but the test will be time. not that expensive about 5 bucks a can and its a spray paint so it goes on fast which is nice

Bondo

Staff member

I just used rusto self etching primer on an aluminum boat i am fixing up for my dad, seems to have worked pretty well, but the test will be time. not that expensive about 5 bucks a can and its a spray paint so it goes on fast which is nice

Ayuh,... Ditto that...

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only rusto primer I saw at HD did not appear to be self etching. I will check again but where else could I get it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Last time I was in Wal Mart they had some and so did Autozone

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I looked at the label and did not see self etching but it did say it was for aluminum and galvinized. I am guessing that will work. just have to finish the sanding first.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put on my glasses and read the label of the primer I bought. It was latex so I brought it back and got the sprayable self etching for the bottom of the boat. I think for the sides I will try a different rusto primer because it would be expensive in a hurry if I tried the spray on for the sides. It was weird because the label said it was for aluminum and galvinized metals.
Just wet sanded with 320 and will clean and spray tomorrow. I do not think I will roll and tip when I paint, there are too many obstructions on the bottom of the trailer so I will see how the roll on paint will work and do a good job on the sides where it is easier.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMG that rusto self etching is the best thing since sliced bread. I was able to spray upside down and it went on perfect. It had more coverage than I thought it would.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. Glad you took back that weird latex stuff.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me too, the problem is we put it on my sons boat......seems to stick pretty good but not sure what the result will be until it is back in the water.
Yep. Glad you took back that weird latex stuff.