Need your opinion. Gel Coat Question...

jamiemac74

Seaman
I am wanting to restore the outside of my boat. Last year I wet sanded it with 1500 and buffed it. It looked good for most of the summer but it didn't hold the shine. They say part of the problem was automotive waxes won't hold on Gel Coat for long. I have searched around and these are some of the products I have found...

Gel3.jpg

Gel2.jpg

Gel1.jpg

Please tell me your thoughts on this... Thank You

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need your opinion. Gel Coat Question...

If you got it to last for a full year, you're doing as good as I've ever done on old gelcoat. How old are we talking here? And how bad was the finish before you wet sanded.

As far as the products you have listed I can say about any of them as I haven't used any of those. I've used 3M products, McGuire's, and even some Turtle Wax rubbing compounds. Now I don't use automotive waxes only those listed as for marine use.

Bottom line is once the gelcoat has lost it's factory "shine" it's a yearly or twice yearly project to keep it nice and shinny...but as with any surface (car, boat, motorcycle, etc) some occasionally buffing and polishing is required.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I use alot of the Meguiars line (specifically the 3 part kit you have listed). If you've already wetsanded somewhat recently (last year or so), then you should be able to get a very good finish with the 3 part kit. Buff it using a wool pad (slow speed) with the oxidation remover, then really rub in the polish (it's like a moisturizer for dry skin, but do wipe it off before it dries) and seal it all in with the wax. Truth be told, there are better waxes out there, but this does a decent job. I really DO NOT like the poly-prep and have never heard of the presto brand (The 5 year gurantee as seen on TV) claim would make me walk away right there and then. BUT, I've never used it so can't say for certain that it doesn't work; just a gut feeling. You definately won't be disappointed with the Meguiars.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There many different kinds of gel coat and not all of them will respond to sanding and buffing in the
same way, so results will vary.
But the most common reason for the dull finish returning is not enough of the old surface was removed before buffing. Many buffing compounds contain oils that soak into the gel coat and hide the chalked and/or sanded surface, so it looks good for a while, but as the oils evaporate the dull finish returns. Buffing again will help for a while, but unless you remove more of the aged surface it normally becomes dull again.

I have never tried this, but do a search here on "Vaseline" some people report very good results, I can't say whether it works or not though.

As for the list of miracle products that are supposed to resurrect the old surface with little or no work in exchange for a good amount of your money....well they sort of work....but have their own issues.