Another question

Mojo^

Seaman
First off, I'd like to thank all of you guys for your input. It's been very helpful and most appreciated.

I'm in the middle of a 1446 Grumman Jon refurb. The boat has been used in brackish water conditions and the transom was made of pressure treated ply which made for a very bad combination. I've fabricated a new wooden transom but the more I think about the aluminum structure the more uncertain I am of how to approach the real problem which is holes, lot's of holes. Some the size of my thumb. I have some Marine-Tex to try and fill these but was wondering if it might be more effective to use this in combination with fiberglass matting or tape. This just short of cutting out the old aluminum and having new structure welded into place which I am trying to avoid.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Another question

Aluminum street signs make great patches and if you prepare the patch and boat surface (sanded to bare aluminum) and coat with 3m 5200 it will seal up....... some well placed rivets help too.

I do not recall "who did it" but there is a post here on iboats where a member did exactly that with great results.

The other alternative is to use a street sign or aluminum sheet and have it welded it.

Yup the PT wood raises hell with the aluminum.

Mojo^

Seaman
Re: Another question

Aww, screw-it. I'm going to bite the bullet and pick-up a sheet of .090 5052 Friday afternoon and cut it to match the profile of the existing transom. Next week I'll have someone weld it into place directly over the existing .063 swiss cheese aluminum structure. Don't worry, all corrosion has been completely stopped and cleaned-up using scotch-brite pads, CLR, white vinegar and Aluma-Prep 33. I'm still going to fill the holes with Marine-Tex before having the new layer welded into place. An 8' x 4' sheet of .090 5052 is only going to cost $90 and $75 for the MIG weld job. If nothing else I will have bought myself a little peace of mind.