Volvo Penta 3.0L trim hydraulic line leak

stegstone

Cadet
I recently discovered I have a small area (about 1/4" in diameter) of damaged exterior hydraulic line that looks like it melted (very near the trim motor). Not sure what melted the line but I can see steel wire mesh inside the line. Weird thing is the trim still works fine and hydrualic fluid doesn't release when I use the trim (although I can see the hydrualic fluid in the line from the hole and the reservoir is still full). The trim works fine and it seems as though I'd need to remove the lower unit to replace the line. Is replacement necessary or can I just wrap some electrical tape and a hose clamp around that puppy and pretend I never saw it?:facepalm:

Attachments

• PICT2918.jpg
    PICT2918.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT2967.jpg
    PICT2967.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT2970.jpg
    PICT2970.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 2

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 3.0L trim hydraulic line leak

Now would be a perfect time for a picture.

stegstone

Cadet

OK, I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

stegstone

Cadet

new to the forum, still trying to figure out how to upload a pic. Any links for instructions?

Don S

What pump do the lines go to? Those do not look like trim/tilt lines.

Don S

Trim tilt, or trim tabs? Post a picture of the pump.

stegstone

Cadet

Trim tilt, or trim tabs? Post a picture of the pump.

I posted some pics of the pump - I don't have any trim tabs. There's 2 lines coming out of the pump and you can see the damaged line in the third pic. Thanks for your help.

Don S

You can't just replace the outer part of the hose, you have to replace the complete hose assembly.
Below is a link to the parts breakdown, you need to get your model number and find your model, then find the right part.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/

stegstone

Cadet

You can't just replace the outer part of the hose, you have to replace the complete hose assembly.
Below is a link to the parts breakdown, you need to get your model number and find your model, then find the right part.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/

Will I need to take off the lower unit in order to replace the line? I read some other posts indicating that and I really don't want to go there.

Don S

From the looks of the rust, I would bet it's a salt water boat. From my experience, you will be lucky if all you had to do was pull the drive, that is just a minor yearly maintenance item, I would bet you end up pulling the engine as well, and possibly the transom shield just to get everything apart that will be frozen due to corrosion.
Sorry, been there a few times.