Install Help and Pictures - 1996 Bayliner 2050 LS with Minn Kota Powerdrive V2

kernfisherman

Recruit
Can someone please post some pictures/instructions of this installation?

I recently purchased the Powerdrive V2, 12v, 55lbs with a 48" shaft and am working to install it on my 1996 Bayliner 2050 LS. I also purchased the Minn Kota MKA 21 Composite Quick Release Bracket Mounts.

As many of you know the Bayliners of this era have a very sloped bow which makes level installation difficult.

I am interested in getting some instruction/pictures on this install. I am hoping I do not have to build a mounting platform unless absolutely necessary. I really like how the quick disconnect leaves only the small puck once removed.

I am particularly interested in the angle at which the motor an be mounted and if the motor will operate without the base being level with the water.

Picture of the Bow:

Bow.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Install Help and Pictures - 1996 Bayliner 2050 LS with Minn Kota Powerdrive V2

Before going forward, make sure that shaft length will work with that boat. 48" would not work on my '97 capri 2050. I use a 48" on 14' alum fishing boat. Here is what is recommended from the MK FAQs:

Choosing the correct shaft length is important so that the angler?s electric motor does not cavitate, creating fish-spooking noise. The rule of thumb is that the center of the motor section should be submerged 9". In general, shaft length selection is more critical with bow-mount motors versus transom-mount motors. Most boat transoms are similar in their distance to the water, and Minn Kota?s standard transom shaft lengths should be adequate. With bow-mounted motors, there is much greater variation in shaft length requirements. Measure down from the mounting surface of the transom or bow to the water level. Add 5" to waterline measurement for fishing in rough water. Add 12" to waterline measurement for steering a hand control motor while standing. Use this measurement and the tables below to find the appropriate shaft length.

Bow to Waterline Recommended Shaft Length

0?-10? 36?
16?-22? 42?-45?
22?-28? 48?-52?
28?-34? 54?-62?

kernfisherman

Recruit
Re: Install Help and Pictures - 1996 Bayliner 2050 LS with Minn Kota Powerdrive V2

Thanks John. We were initially concerned about the shaft length. We had initially planned to purchase a 54" but decided against it after measuring the waterline of the boat. We measured the 48" at about 7-8" under the water. Our fishing locations typically consist of coves within California lakes with fairly calm water and only occasional wind. Given your suggested measurement of 9", I can see we are a little shallow.

But the motor has been purchased and delivered, and we are planning to begin mounting today. If the shaft is too short, we may have a brand new Minn Kota for sale.

Any thoughts on the mounting?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Make sure you considered the height from making it level and the additional height for the quick release. You also don't want the shaft 100% down. You want a few inches to help with retracting. My recommendation would be to exchange it while you can and get the 54" or maybe longer.

As far as mounting, it appears you have very little flat area to work with, even if you relocate the bow light. Allot will depend on the access under there and mounting plate size and bolt locations. Do a good search here, someone had done an intricate bow plate dealing with similiar issues. They included many pictures, etc. It will probably help you and provide some good ideas. I'd expect that you will need a heavy aluminum base plate. Hopefully get two level mounting bolts, with another two that will require custom shimed work. Don't under estimate the amount of torque that a 55lb motor can apply with that long of a lever.

Threads:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280001&pagenumber=