???1973??? 20 HP Johnson

rhendershot

Cadet
I have what I think is a 1973 Johnson 20 HP motor. There is no model plate on the motor. I'm going off of the motor cover and look of the motor. When I took the fly wheel off to get to the points and things, it appears to have a 1972 Armature Plate. It has two ignition coils instead of a Magneto and an ignition coil. Also the Cam-Mag has slop in it. Is this normal? It looks like the key had damage on the inner part of the key. Also the Cam-Mag looks to be damages slightly. :confused: Adding to the play I think. I will attach some pics to help.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMAG0431.jpg
    IMAG0431.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ???1973??? 20 HP Johnson

Are yoou referring tro the brass bushing on the insideof the mag plate having slop?

Unless it is brand new, it will. It's the degree of slop that might need attention. It's old enough to vote.

Put it all back together, get it running and see what it runs like. If you have major missing, or binding,then your best bet is to get a new mag plate. I've had 3 of these type motors. An 18HP Fast twin, a 20 and a 25 (both Johnsons). All three had play in the bushing and all 3 ran fine. Make sure when you put the coils back on, that the laminates are flush with the bosses on the mag plate or you will have a problem. And make sure that nothing is stuck to the magnets on the underside of the flywheel. (Don't ask how I know to tell you this)

rhendershot

Cadet
Re: ???1973??? 20 HP Johnson

I was referring to the cam mag. It's the cam that opens and closes the points. Also the other thing is it looks like it has 2 ignition coils. In the shop manual it shows a magnito and a coil.