Lone Star Biscayne Texas Maid Tahiti Project

Lone Star Biscayne Texas Maid Tahiti Project

• Total voters

eball429

Cadet
Decisions, decisions... Until two weeks ago I only owned a 1958 Texas Maid Osprey that is a 14' aluminum boat with a 1964 50hp Mercury. I have a family of five and decided I needed to get something bigger. I'm not new to boat projects or old boats, but it's been a while since I've put one together. I've decided I love the old aluminum boats because they last forever, have great lines and can be purchased for cheap. I searched Craigslist for days on end and finally found my project boat, a 1963 Texas Maid Tahiti 18' aluminum boat with EZ Loader trailer. The only problem was that I had to drive four hours to get it...

IMAG0045.jpg

I was very happy with the condition of the boat and impressed with the quality of the trailer. It made it home without a hitch. The boat is a bare hull and needs a motor, controls, steering and interior.

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

A week later I started the Craigslist search again for the perfect motor or possibly a whole donor boat (oh won't my wife be excited!!!). After performing due diligence on Craigslist I narrowed the search to complete boat with an acceptable motor that was said to run. Enter 1963 Lone Star Biscayne...

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

I didn't expect the hull to be much and decided that if I could use the steering, some hardware, possibly seats for re-upholstery and the motor it will have served it's purpose. Since it was a 1963 fiberglass hull I expected the worst and was immediately surprised and confused when I saw the boat. The hull shows no signs of transom rot, barely has any scratches on the bottom of the hull, shows all the signs of being an original boat to include the lone star seats with springs. The chrome and accessories on the boat all work and are in immaculate condition and the windshield is near perfect.

I'm not saying that the Lone Star is ready to take to the lake, but it's not far from it and just needs some upholstery, TLC and basic mechanical maintenance performed.

Now I'm completely confused and can't decide if I should ignore the condition of the Lone Star and still sacrifice it for the good of the Texas Maid or use it as a motor "test bed" and work all the bugs out of the motor, re-do the interior and get it all "broke in" before transferring it to the Texas Maid. The Lone Star is not as big as the Texas Maid, but it still fits my family much better than the 14' Texas Maid I currently have up and running. I've had my fair share of fiberglass boat projects and have become pretty proficient at paint & body, but am not sure that I'm ready for another project like that with three kids all 6 and under... But the Lone Star sure would look pretty with new paint and interior and a restored Evinrude...

I posted this to get your opinions on the projects and help make a decision on how to proceed with the project(s). Which one would ride better? Does anyone have experience with fiberglass lone stars? Are they good to ski behind? I like the lines of the Texas Maid better and the aluminum better, but I think the Lone Star would make a cool old boat. I haven't fired the 75HP Evinrude yet, but it appears to be well taken care of and unmolested. I think it will make a great motor, but I'd still rather have an early sixties Mercury tower of power...

Eric

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lone Star Biscayne Texas Maid Tahiti Project

I love the Texas Maids, but that looks like quite a project. You can't go wrong with either one, but I'd get the Lone Star running first since it looks like you could have it seaworthy with less amount of time/work. What a great find!
BTW, are you planning to keep the Osprey? Would love to see a pic of it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Both are super nice boats. Both are fairly unique also (especially the TM). Unfortunately your dilemma is a real one because that glasser is too nice to just be parted out. If it's solid, maybe you can do a cosmetic restore on it and run it while you're working on your TM. You'll now need another donor though, this time, please make it be something nasty you won't mine taking to the dump once you've snagged all the good parts :p

eball429

Cadet

These aren't the best pictures, but this is my other Texas Maid.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

I'm going to put it up for sale in a week or so. I toyed around with the idea of robbing it's motor and hardware for the big Texas Maid, but I'd have to cut the transom to 16", it would be under powered and the small Texas Maid wouldn't be worth anything. I'll post some better pictures once I clean it up for Craigslist. It's been a great boat and I love the old Merc!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay, I just voted that you should save the TM Tahiti and scrap the Lone Star and I'm biased. I have a TM Impala 15-foot tinny so yeah I favor the TM's. Here's why:
1.) It's a tinny...infinitely more durable that 50-year-old fiberglass
2.) It's a blank canvas...you can do the deck lay-out anyway you want
3.) It's a tinny...you'll never have to worry about under-deck rot or replace what IS rotted under the Lone Star's deck
4.) The TM Fiestas and Tahitis are infinitely cool...like the pop-up hatch on top of the bow skirt...you already know this cause you already have a TM
5.) It's a tinny...if you do it right and I'm sure you can refit/repower the Tahiti for less than $3K, you'll have a boat that can pass down through the generations in your family.
6.) You're already somewhat of a TM fanatic...as I am...it's simply heresy (just a joke) to consider going over to fiberglass
7.) It's a tinny...much more durable after you teach the wife and kiddos to pilot it...no worries about someone/something punching a hole in the hull
8.) It's a tinny...okay, I'm repeatin' myself...I'll stop here
But seriously, figure out what suits your situation and budget, make your choice, come up with a plan and then work your plan...and keep the kids involved, with the wife nearby with the camera to record it all.
Oh yeah, really like your smaller TM. Why not keep it too?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Put me down for another solid vote in favor of the Texas Maid, the bigger one:D

Very nice looking hull, and unique in many ways. That Evinrude would look great, hope you can get it running without too much trouble.

tsennett

Cadet

Don't get rid of that Lonestar, or at least get it to a good home. My nieghbor at the lake had that hull, she had replaced the original evinrude with a newer one (original was 75 hp, new one was 70 hp) and that boat was great. She took everybody waterskiing many times each summer, the boat was great - handled great, etc. She finally turned it in to her mechanic/marina for a new starcraft bowrider about three years ago- and she has never been really happy since giving up the lonestar. The starcraft (fiberglass) is a nice boat, but more complicated to take care of (it was brand new, so she was much more careful about covering it and cleaning it - way more work than the old boat) and she never felt there was a big difference in performance (the new starcraft was more comfortable, of course). I love the look of the TM, just think the Lonestar ought to be preserved if possible. You really do have a dilemma.

eball429

Cadet

The reason I searched for and purchased the Texas Maid is because I'd decided I only like old tin boats and had sworn off fiberglass. I just can't justify owning multiple boats and the wife would be MUCH happier if I only owned one so keeping all of them is off the table. I have less than a $1000 in both of these boats and I am okay if I end up selling the Lone Star with trailer for $100 on Craigslist after I steal the hardware. I think it would cost a lot more to buy used parts on ebay seperately and old motor prices can vary greatly.

I know enough about boats to know that not all hull designs are created equal and because of that I have an inherent curiosity about how the Lone Star might perform. The back half of the hull is essentially a flat bottom and I'm curious what kind of wake it would make for skiing and water sports. I'm guessing that it would beat you up just as much as the Texas Maid probably would in rough water, but don't have enough experience to tell by just looking. I'd hate to pass up a great hull design and never get to experience it, but ultimately I only want the big Texas Maid.

You guys aren't making this an easy decision, but I do appreciate all the input. Either way I go I'm planning on documenting the build and posting a project thread. If anyone needs Lone Star emblems, hardware or a windshield speak up now... or if you're interested in a Lone Star Biscayne without steering or a motor for dirt cheap let me know.

eball429

Cadet

Don't get rid of that Lonestar, or at least get it to a good home. My nieghbor at the lake had that hull, she had replaced the original evinrude with a newer one (original was 75 hp, new one was 70 hp) and that boat was great. She took everybody waterskiing many times each summer, the boat was great - handled great, etc. She finally turned it in to her mechanic/marina for a new starcraft bowrider about three years ago- and she has never been really happy since giving up the lonestar. The starcraft (fiberglass) is a nice boat, but more complicated to take care of (it was brand new, so she was much more careful about covering it and cleaning it - way more work than the old boat) and she never felt there was a big difference in performance (the new starcraft was more comfortable, of course). I love the look of the TM, just think the Lonestar ought to be preserved if possible. You really do have a dilemma.

Did you ever get a chance to ride in your neighbor's lonestar? How did it ride? How was the wake? How did it do in rougher water? No problem if you never had a chance to ride in it, but I though I should ask in case you knew more about it. Is there anything special about this hull design? Is there anything it excells at? I thought it was neat that the 63 brochure advertised it as a ski boat, but don't know if that means lonestar truly designed that hull for skiing or it just worked okay for skiing and had storage designed for skis and an open layout. Thanks for the input!

eball429

Cadet

I spent some quality time with the Lone Star tonight after work. I got the interior removed and scrubbed everything inside with bleach. I was able to get a better look at everything and the old boat is solid. I'm starting to get attached to her so I'm moving forward with saving her and using her for our summer play boat this year.

The TM is too big of a project to do before summer and I don't want to rush it because I want it to get done right. I'll take my time with the TM and since I really wanted an old tower of power on it I might search for another donor or just motor and piece it all together. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of two or three boats. The Lone Star can be the fun boat for tubing and skiing and general playing on the lake and the TM can be the river fishing work horse. The little TM is great for when I river fish by myself because it's so easy to man handle on and off the trailer and doesn't require help from anyone else. Also, I've put a lot of time and effort in the 50hp Merc and finally have it running well and looking good.

If the lone star does well and fits the family I might give it a full restoration, but for now I'm just doing a major spit shine, interior and mechanical. Should I start a new project thread or keep posting updates here?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd start a New One. Before you get carried away. Have you core sampled the Transom to make sure it is sound enough to handle the motor. I have a 61 Lonestar Flamingo and was fortunate enough that she was a BARN find and the Transom was PERFECT but most boats of this vintage have some serious transom issues. Before you do your SPIT polishing make sure she is structurally sound. You can check out my Flamingo by clicking my thread in my signature below. The Flat Bottom Hull design handles Great and the Hull is VERY LIGHT only about 450lbs so that motor will push her along really great. You'll love it once you get her on the water.