trim for vinyl flooring

Don Dickinson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i am replacing the floor carpet in my 1987 skeeter bass boat with some marine vinyl flooring. i don't think it will be too hard, but i do have a question about the trim. i see two types of trim for sale ... butt up and tuck under. which is better for the marine vinyl? i'm wondering if the vinyl is too thin and if it will look funny. are there other trim alternatives?

tia,
don

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trim for vinyl flooring

Was there any trim on there originally? I seem to remember that the carpet was just butt'ed up to the edges and in some places run up the sides a few inches? Granted the new vinyl is thinner so my opinion is that if you decided to use a type of base trim it should match the appearance (not beefy). I'm not sure which two types of trim you're looking at, but a tuck under style would hide any minor oo-boo's from the cutting/fitting process. As far as durability/life of the carpet, neither one would be better or worse. One other option I guess, trying to match the thin-ness of the carpet would be to use 7/8" stainless strake mounted flat (the kind that's used on the outside of rubrails), however that could tend to be a little labor intensive cutting/fitting and costly depending on how many linear feet you would need (but it would probably look pretty sharp) :)

Don Dickinson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trim for vinyl flooring

thanks for the advice. my biggest question i guess was whether the tuck-under would be too thick for the vinyl. no real way of knowing that unless i actually get some (i was hoping just to order it on the internet). i'll check out home depot and lowes. i might run into something while wandering around there:) what's on there now btw is just a plastic/rubber edging that fits over the top of the carpet edge. kind of like a molding.