Lake Erie for Dummies.....

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are considering taking a trip to Port Clinton, Ohio this summer, something we never have done. We are new boat owners as of June 2010 and own a 20' Suntracker pontoon with a 90HP OB. We've never had the pontoon out on anything bigger than the small inland lakes in SW Ohio.

Sandusky Bay appears (on Google maps anyway) to be a good starting point for us. It's a sheltered bay and not to big for us to get lost in.

Anyway, my questions are.....

What type of gear should we take along with us for a trip to the inland sea?

If you are familiar with that area can you recommend marinas, things to do, places to see and places to eat.

BTW, we like to sight see, fish, swim and relax on the water. We won't be doing any water sports.

TIA!

Sho_Stpr

Cadet
Re: Lake Erie for Dummies.....

Hate to Say it... Wrong Rig for the Lake or Bay.... The Bay Has Tons of Boat traffic and 2-3 ft rollers are common on a busy day.... There is One Pontoon that docks at my marina and they only go out in early morning or late evenings.... and from what they tell me they only use to to go to the Sandusky Sand bar and Back... But Downtown sandusky offers lots of Lake front views and the City ramp for the 3rd year in a row does not charge a Ramp Fee... As far as Port Clinton Goes, Not Much going on by Boat... Best Bet is to Launch it in Sandusky, Cruise the Bay or take the channel back around by TGI Fridays... Also Might want to look into the Sandusky River... Has 3-4 Bars on its shores with dockage, Big boys cant get back there do to Shallow Areas...

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lake Erie for Dummies.....

They are popular out of our marina, out of 30 boats 10 or so pontoons. They are nice for perch fishing od drifting for eyes. Had my old toon out and been caught in 3 footers, took some time and skill but arrived home in one peice, and no worse for the wear. My area is just east of fireing range, cut goes out 1/4 mile east of range. You may want to pick your days, not sure what you want to do but should be fine if you pick your days. There is a state ramp in Port Clinton, one on Sandusky Bay, and one out by Lakeside. Know ppeople who have used pontoons on Lake Erie for over 30 years.