Smartcraft error message pitot tube sensor

oilcan2828

Cadet
I have a 2005 mercruiser 5.0l engine serial number 0W319056 equipped with a digital smartcraft system. I keep receiving a pitot tube sensor error message on my port side gauge. This error message starts prior to the engine starting which leads me to believe it is a sensor. I can't seem to find the location of the sensor and the replacement part number.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smartcraft error message pitot tube sensor

I can't seem to find the location of the sensor and the replacement part number.

You probably don't have one installed. It was only an option, not std. equipment.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It's your speedometer pickup tube (aka pitot tube).

If its the same as on a outboard lower unit, it's probably plugged up. Look for a small hole just above the bullet on your out drive. If it picked up a piece of weed it may still have pressure on it and the smartcraft gauge knows you can't be doing 50mph at 600 rpm. Clean it out with a paper clip. You may have to trace the tube back and disconect it then blow it out with compressed air. That's what we do on Merc outboards and it should be similar. If you go the compressed air route make darn sure the gauge is disconnected or you may ruin it.

oilcan2828

Cadet

If it's not equipped with the sensor how do I turn off the error message.

oilcan2828

Cadet

You were correct there was not one installed. I had to reset the smartcraft and set it to station 2 and the error message went away. Thanks