3m 5200

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if 3m 5200 will cure underwater, can i paint over it before it is fully cured? what would the diffrence between painting it and having it cure underwater? Im just being impatient i guess as i want to get this darn project done.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3m 5200

If you going to wait for it to cure out of the water, I hope you're using the fast cure 5200 :) Otherwise it will take forever. What are you using this for that you would be painting over it? Wood hull? Generally I would not paint over it as the paint will not adhere all that well (and I can't say for certain, but painting over before it's cured may inhibit the cure process..) Hope this helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

It'll be fine. Not sure what the Paint will do though. It might crinkle and crack. I'd wait till it dries if I were you.;)

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its on the back transom piece of wood on an old aluminum boat, I made new transom wood, sealed it with epoxy, pinted it a nice rich brown color, and when i drilled the holes to put the bolts thorugh i put some 5200 in the holes so now my nice brown transom has white blotches around each bolt

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could spray it with some water which will help speed things along a little bit, but otherwise I would just launch it and peel it next time you haul the boat out. If you paint over it, it would be fine, but it would look like you painted over something. Sounds like you spent the time making a nice transom board, might be worth waiting to paint until the caulking can be removed.. Just my thoughts...