removing pinion housing to change u joints

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey I'm about to do the u-joints and was looking in the manual and it looks like they took the driveshaft off the drive for ease of changing the u-joints. Can i just unbolt the 4 bolts and pull the whole shaft with the housing out? Any other things I need to remove first? will it just slip right back in after? Sorry for all the questions

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: removing pinion housing to change u joints

maybe its called the bearing carrier the diagram is a bit confusing

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There's no need to pull it off. I do my joints with the shaft still in the drive. Taking that piece off is of no benefit other than it's easier to move around than a whole drive---it's also a great way to introduce dirt to your gearbox.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

anyone know?

Yeah.... Change em on the outdrive..
. No one knows what you have.. You should edit you signature to put what kinda boat, year, engine, outdrive you have. That's how come you can't get a reply.. No one is sure what you are running (read this) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416.. I think you have a cobra(I can't remember) and the picture you show IS NOT the shaft for a regular Cobra.. It's a SX or something.. When you use that manual.. Make sure you are looking at the correct drive..

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah.... Change em on the outdrive..
. No one knows what you have.. You should edit you signature to put what kinda boat, year, engine, outdrive you have. That's how come you can't get a reply.. No one is sure what you are running (read this) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416.. I think you have a cobra(I can't remember) and the picture you show IS NOT the shaft for a regular Cobra.. It's a SX or something.. When you use that manual.. Make sure you are looking at the correct drive..

Well in the manual that is under cobra section and that picture looks like mine :S That was copied straight out of that manual you sent me. Ill update my signature I have an OMC COBRA

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i think my signature is updated now... I will try and get to an auto parts store tonight and rent that tool your talking about

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I guess you can remove the shaft if you want.. You will have to get some seals and o rings.. Or HOPE they will be okay.. I have noticed HOPE and BOAT don't go together so well...
attachment.php

I change em on the drive.. once you get the one closest to the drive off.. You can do the other ones on a bench if you want...

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess you can remove the shaft if you want.. You will have to get some seals and o rings.. Or HOPE they will be okay.. I have noticed HOPE and BOAT don't go together so well...
attachment.php

I change em on the drive.. once you get the one closest to the drive off.. You can do the other ones on a bench if you want...
I'll try taking the one closest to the the drive off and see how that goes are the little clips hard to get off?

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the help got the u-joints done tonight