My boat has hard time getting on a plane

Glcires

Recruit
I just bought a 1996 19 ft cobia with a 1996 150 yamaha. I've taken it out a couple times but keep having problems getting the boat to plane out. The boat doesn't have any trim tabs so i can only use the motor. What is the best position for the motor so I can plane the boat out? Should I slowly increase speed as I try to plane or go faster quicker? Do I really need to look into buying trim tabs or is this something I can fix with what I have? Please help if you can. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: My boat has hard time getting on a plane

Welcome aboard!!

What is the best position for the motor so I can plane the boat out?

Usually full down (In) trim has the best leverage to plane a boat. Not always, but I'd start there.

Should I slowly increase speed as I try to plane or go faster quicker?

Similar to the last answer, Hammer the throttle all the way down to get out of the hole. At least start there and you'll know how that works out. Many boats take a lot of throttle to plane, but may have plenty of reserve power for a variety of speeds once on plane. Once she's up and going you should be prepared to back down on the throttle and start to trim up. This takes some practice, but full trim down (In) can be very scary once at speed, and she will gain speed quickly at full throttle once up and out.

Do I really need to look into buying trim tabs or is this something I can fix with what I have?

Personally I believe helm adjustable trim tabs should be standard on almost all v-hulls. Passive tabs like Smart Tabs are a good, lower cost, alternative. I would not look upon them as a "fix", although they will always improve planing performance. Throttle necessary, time to plane and minimum planing speed are all improved. With that said, you should be able to plane her as is if all is right. "All" includes, engine, hull, weight, weight balance, propeller match, operator etc.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As was said, you need a fast start--opposite a car and not doing a 'jackrabbit" start.

Your 150 on a 19 should have no trouble getting up. As was said, start with the motor down, but be careful because sometimes this will make the bow dig in and the boat veer one side or the other (happens worse with tabs).

I am using tabs on a 21', for the first time in about 40 years of boating. I like them and say they are important on a larger boat. Ona 19 I'd call it a nice option to have but not necessary.

Try putting your passengers in the bow when you take off, too--or certainly get them out of the stern. It's hard to get a 19 to behave with people in the stern.

Also be sure your boat is properly propped and running correctly--you may have dropped a cylinder and not know it. I'd start by seeing what you do at WOT*, compare your RPM and MPH on a GPS. EIEIO. When you get up there, watch the results as you trim the motor up--speed will magically increase, until you get to the point where it cavitates (catches air in the prop). You'll hear it.

Congrats on the new boat! It's a good rig.
*wide open throttle

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Along with everything else mentioned above, I'd be checking the prop. I notice it's a used boat new to you. It's possible the previous owner changed the prop for whatever reason.

cr2k

Captain

Proper propping is necessary. A 150 Yammie should pop you up on plane fairly quickly.
Does the boat seem heavy to you? Maybe weigh it on the trailer and look it up to see what it should weigh. Sometimes the flotation foam gets waterlogged over time and can add a significant amount of weigh especially in the rear of the boat. If this is the case I would also do some checking for rot in the transom, deck and stringers.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lack of power? Might have to get the carbs cleaned out. I had a similar issue. Turns out it was bad gas. Once I cleaned out the carbs and replaced the fuel. The engine was probably double its power.

Just a thought.

BowTieGuy

Cadet

Make sure you have the right prop. first. Then I would look at excessive weight in the back of the boat like mentioned before. It could be a weak engine for whatever reason. If everything checks out, you could get trim tabs or simply put some weight in the front of the boat.

I'll second CaptOchs's comments.. I had a hard time getting on plane after the engine was warmed up..even with tabs Preformed complete tune up and ran a few cans of SeaFoam through the motor and have no issues any longer.

Make sure as much weight is forward and the engine is trimmed down..