What anchor for 30' pontoon boat?

wcniedba

Recruit
I have a 30' pontoon boat (with top deck - so extra wind surface blows side walls of boat). I use the boat in Lake Chickamauga which is on the Tennessee River by Chattanooga TN. I think the bottom is mostly mud/dirt. My question is this... what type AND size of anchor should I be using to anchor with? Please give me suggestions for both a bow anchor and stern anchor. Thanks!

I have another question on anchoring but I'll make that a separate topic I think.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What anchor for 30' pontoon boat?

I would use a mushroom for muddy bottoms but I would also have a danforth or fortress on board in case you ever anchor on a rocky or grassy bottom.

Connect a six foot heavy chain on the anchor and the rode should be at least seven times the depth of the water.

You should only use a stern anchor with calm waters and wind and only when a bow anchor is also deployed.

amr7333

Recruit

They might be expensive, but everything I read about the box anchor seems to be great. Cant find anything bad about them so far. I do know they are hard to find. You find someplace that sells them(ie Bass Pro), they are usually sold out. When I find a place not out of stock, I am going to order one.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I have used serveral different kinds of anchors and the one I find that holds the best is a 25# Richter Anchor. I have a 24' Tritoon powered by a M/C 470.

The Rooster

Ensign

I'd suggest the heaviest Danforth style you are comfortable with and 4-6' of chain. We use about a 20# Danforth for our 25' Triple tube, and our good friends use the exact same set-up for their 2008 30' Suntracker Party hut down here in the muddy waters of S. Louisiana, and we've never had any problems !!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I have never used anchors with my pontoon boat, as they're just a big hassle. You can use a pair of Danforth anchors, however you'd probably have a couple of 100' ropes to get them to dig into the bottom. Then, you've got to go through a procedure going forward and reverse to get them into the bottom. Then, taking them back up is another procedure. You can always use a HomeDepot orange bucket filled up with concrete as an anchor.

Your lake is a very wide open water, and it's in the middle of Chattanooga. I'd be looking for friends with piers/boathouses to tie up to. My best memories are floating for miles down the Tennessee River in the middle of the night listening to music. We start the motor to run upwind to where I started every 1/2 hour or so.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 55 Gal drum full of concrete.............If it's windy on a toon, that' what it will take.........

USM89

Cadet

A 55 Gal drum full of concrete.............If it's windy on a toon, that' what it will take.........

I agree pontoons and fence provide a lot of sail area I use a 20# Danforth as bow anchor and 15 ft of heavy chain next to anchor If I want to hold steady and not swing I drop a small mushroom off stern.

Use the formula mentioned above and it will hold in most any bottom.