Sea King 5hp Help

motoxjb

Cadet
I'm working on 5hp Sea King and can't find any info on it. The numbers on the cylinder head are 591395 but I cant find numbers anywhere else. It appears to be a late 50's model from other pics I have seen. Is there somewhere else I can look. It appears to be water cooled but doesn't spit any water. I opened the lower unit and the it looks like burnt black grease. Any help would be appriciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King 5hp Help

It would help if we knew what you are working on. OK, so does it have a forward-neutral-reverse gearshift?

Of course you must know you took the wrong thing apart to access the water pump. If it is a gearshift model, the pump is in the bulge a few inches above the flat cavitation plate. You have to remove the powerhead before you can remove the lower unit to access the pump.

motoxjb

Cadet

There is no shift it is direct drive. Where do I look to find the model number?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Numbers usually are between the stern brackets, on top. But we don't even know how old or who made your motor yet, so different mfrs put the numbers in different places.

Is this your motor?

Attachments

• Pg 11 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    Pg 11 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0

motoxjb

Cadet

I will look there tonight, I must have missed the obvious spot. I was looking all over engine. F_R that picture is the exact lower unit from the motor I have and it looks like #23 is the water pump. That's what I was guessing when I took it apart but it look like a week looking pump system. It's strange that there is no bearings in the lower unit. Thanks for all the help I appriciate it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, it is a very effective system. And so simple. Johnson used a similar system, so did Martin and Scott-Atwater, to name a couple.

#24 is the pump rotor---the part that displaces the water from the inlet to the outlet. #23 is the eccentric that causes the rotor to wobble in the cavity, and displace the water.

The usualy failure is the rubber rotor swelling up from grease contamination.

No bearings? Well, it has cast-in-place integral bronze bushings. Not so strange in a small non-shift motor. In fact, the norm.

motoxjb

Cadet

Found the model number, its GG9003A so it turns out its a 1957 SeaKing 5hp. It looks to me that #23 was missing the key #25 so thats where my issue is. I started to clean everything last night and this little motor seams to be in good shape. I want to find #24 rotor pump if possible before I put everything back together. I'm good with engines but I'm still learning when it comes to outboards so bear with me.

597jim

Recruit

Hi, I am looking for lower unit parts 17 18 19, and prop shaft seals and spring for the diagram you have shown for the 5 hp.Actually most of the lower unit parts are toast . Do you know who has any of these pcs ? thanks jim

motoxjb

Cadet

I got the motor running but how can I tell if it is pumping water. Where is the tell tale? There is a mist of water dripping out the little tube up near the powerhead but not a lot.

kevinsw

Recruit

Hi, I am looking for lower unit parts 17 18 19, and prop shaft seals and spring for the diagram you have shown for the 5 hp.Actually most of the lower unit parts are toast . Do you know who has any of these pcs ? thanks jim

Jim, do you have a manual for this engine, model 15GG-0915? Let me know. thanks, Kevin

motoxjb

Cadet

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say thanks everyone for the help. I put a new pump in and it spits water like a champ and motor runs great. Thanks again.