What is the metal??

nofishjoe

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking inot welding the lowerunit due to a crack and putty is just not working. What is the metal of the unit or what types of metals were used in the 60's for lower units. Was it aluminum..? <br />1969 scott McCulough :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is the metal??

Howdy, Joe.<br /><br />Usually a magnesium/aluminum/nickel/copper alloy or an alloy of 2 or 3 of the above.<br /><br />Can be heli-arced or TIG welded. Take seals out and protect bores from contortion.<br /><br />Good luck. :) <br /><br />Hmmm. Next post oughta be a good one. :rolleyes:

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Certainly not the recommended method, but... have you tried epoxy, you know the two part stuff? You said you used putty? I assume the crack came from freezing not hitting something? :confused: I have in the past with excellent results used epoxy. Clean up the area, the rougher the better. I would also drain the lower unit and clean (the outside) with paint thinner. Try to put motor in position so that oil is not leaking ito crack (from inside) while your repairing. Put the epoxy on, leave overnight. Sand and paint. Check after use. If you have no mechanical damage inside, like a spun bearing, etc., this might be worth a try. It worked for me on a 150HP Evinrude and a small block racing engine. ;)

nofishjoe

Seaman Apprentice

I have tried using the 2 part stuff and well the crap just didn't seep into the crack to seal it. So it still lost oil. I am on round 2 with that stuff and I am hoping I will have better luck this time. If all doesn't do well I guess I can try melting stell and making a new one but considering my oven don't get that hot. Well step one is the better chance. A prayer is what I need.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I've successfully used West System epoxy mixed with aluminum powder (one of the W.S. fillers) to repair anti-ventilation plates. To properly adhere, the crack would have to be cleaned with a solvent.