Need Help Painting Aluminum Boat

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 16' Landau semi v hull aluminum boat that is dark green. I really would like it to be white instead as it gets SO hot in the summer. Is there a good paint (epoxy?) that will go on thick and paint over the green if I scuff it up? Sprayed on of course by a professional. Will it hold up that way or would it be better to strip the green off first? THAT would probably stop the idea lol.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need Help Painting Aluminum Boat

or would it be better to strip the green off first?
Ayuh,... Don't remove the existing paint...

The short sweet, inexpensive Fix it to paint it with Rustoleum, yourself...
Scuff, clean, 'n paint...

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yoiu never want to strip paint unless it is in really bad shape, it is generally best to paint over it which only involves scuffing the existing paint but noramlly a paint shop will sand it themselves, if they paint it with your sanding and you didn't do it right they are on the hook.

Look into tip and roll, it seems to be pretty easy and yo can do it yourself and save a ton of money.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, thanks. So what is the absolute best paint to use?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

A LOT of the Tin Boat guys on here use Rustoleum Professional Oil Based with GREAT long lasting results. They now make a Hardener Additive for it sold at Auto or Tractor supply houses. You WILL need to Prime any Bare spots with a Self Etching primer and ALWAYS clean any bare aluminum with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar before applying the primer.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The first thing you need to do is determine what paint you have on the boat now. If it's a one part epoxy then you can't use a two part epoxy over it and you'll have to strip. Rustoleum will go over just about anything but any bad spots will need to be sanded to bare metal then properly etched and primed.

The Rustoleum products are fair as far as durability goes. If you want a long lasting finish then you'll need to step up to the plate and do a lot more work. Interlux products are the ones that I prefter but there are others out there that are worth exploring also. Talk to the manufacturers and read the literature then come back here with your choices and we can give you the pro's and con's.

Across the board, there isn't a product on the market that hasn't been tried by someone on iBoats.