1950 johnson seahorse 5hp

jeff70

Recruit
hi i just purchased a johnson5 hp and the guy i bought it from said he thought the float was bad and he had the carb apart al ready. i got it home and put it all back together after a hour or so cus ive never worked on a boat motor lol. but once i thought i had it noticed the plug wires were loose. finally figured out how those went back on cus there not like car wires i got it to run for about 5 sec befor it died.now the carb seemed to be leaking at the prime and there seemed to be a leak in one of the lines below the plugs not sure what it is. and the wires are not verry snug on the pluggs could that be one of the problems on why its not running? the float looks kinda yucky its cork. now questions lol
1. how can i fix leak at primer?
2. can i replace plug wires? like with a boot wire on a car or lawn mower
3. should i replace float?
4. how should float be installed? still not sure i got it correct

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1950 johnson seahorse 5hp

You can try Sea-Way Marine for parts on that old booger. They supplied me with parts pretty good for my HD-20

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1950 johnson seahorse 5hp

Hope you ran it with the leg in water...otherwise add a water pump impeller to your rehab plans.
as for your questions:
1.) yes, pull and clean the carb...let the cork float dry out for a few days then coat it with super-glue to seal it again'
2.) yes, you'll need a harmonic balancer puller (auto parts stores) to pull the flywheel and change the wires...use solid-wire core wires from a small engine/lawnmower shop...not too pricey by the foot
3.) not unless it is in pieces...see no. 1
4.) invest a few bucks in a shop manual...acmeoutboards.com has old E-rude manuals on CD
Have fun, those are stout little motors and very reliable once you get them serviced and back up to snuff