Crank pulley

1neil

Recruit
:mad:I have spent hours sitting in that boat just looking at the crankshaft pulley on the front of the motor trying to find some way to take it off to get the timing chain cover off and come up blank every time I have a 1984 2.5 omc please anything helps

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Crank pulley

What's the problem, can't figure out how to get a puller in there? I'm not sure on an OMC, but on a Mercruiser you have to support the engine (4x4 across gunnels and chain the engine up), then remove the front motor mount to get access.

1neil

Recruit

I took all that down I cant figure out how to remove the part that is conected to the crank, and mercuisers, GM's, and omc motors are the same

fishrdan

Admiral

The engine mounts are different (OMC/Mercruiser) so I'm not sure if you need to remove the front engine mount, you probably do. You need to use a harmonic balancer puller to get the balancer off, probably $30-50 at an auto parts store (or $10 at harbor freight...)

1neil

Recruit

I have a puller but something is keeping it from sliding off the edge of the crank, and the mounts are different but the motors the same

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a puller but something is keeping it from sliding off the edge of the crank,

You have the wrong type of puller, you need a 3 bolt puller and pull the hub off straight.