Prop play???

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I just got a new prop and hub for my 2000 50hp Johnson 2 stroke from dansdiscountprop (turning point) and when its installed the thing wiggles back and forth and I can move it in all directions like the hub is too big and I can move the prop front to back like the spacers are not enough what do I do? when I first put it on it seemed tight from what my memory serves. took it out for a spin maybe 15 min of driving 20 max and now it seems sketchy

I installed it like it said but I dont get why there is so much play?

Thanks Randy

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Prop play???

The hub could have slipped. Could be the wrong thrust washer or it was left out. Maybe wrong prop. Maybe installed wrong. Pictures of what it looks like both on and off the engine with a couple of angles of the hardware and front of prop might do it.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

when the prop is on then the black plastic washer goes on there is still some thread sticking out so when I put the metal washer and nut on there is some room between the plastic and metal washer on the shaft so it wiggles front to back and the brass hub part where the splines "mesh" with you can see and feel a very small space in there when I try to wiggle it its small but it moves quite a bit

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

should I have bought a new thrust washer or should the old one be ok? I reused it bc I figured it would be the same

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

If you have splines exposed when the prop is bottomed out, it sounds to me like you're just missing one of the spacers that goes under the nut. Or you have the WRONG spacer(s). Or you have forgot to install the thrust washer. Almost all aftermarket hubs require the use of a splined spacer and it sounds like you are using one. You have not been specific on which hub/prop you are installing other than Turning Point, but if it's a MasterGuard, instructions are here:
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/IMAGES/hub_11_inst.pdf

Make sure you scroll down to the "Johnson" page...notice they actually have a TWO-PIECE spacer with 2 separate part numbers that go on. Is this what you have? Do the part numbers match?

So you should first be installing a thrust washer, then the prop, then spacer #1, then spacer #2, and only then does the prop nut get threaded on. If after all spacers are in place you still have splines showing? Then something is missing or wrong.

And again I am totally GUESSING which prop hub you are using...so no promises that I am correct on any of this. My Solas hub requires a Solas thrust washer instead of OEM thrust washer. Re-read your instructions, and re-read the part numbers, etc and confirm they are actually designed for your Johnson. Clearly you are either missing parts, or you have installed some or all of the wrong parts for your motor/prop combo.

As stated, photos would go a lot farther than words here...hard for anyone to envision exactly what you're dealing with.

I would also think a call to Dan Discount would be a smart idea, since you purchased it there and I suspect they will support the product and maybe didn't send you exactly everything you needed by mistake?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Somtimes the thrust washer sticks to the old prop and gets over looked and left out.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

I believe it is a tp hustler. The thrust washer is in then the prop then the black splined washer then that's the metal washer. The problem is between the black and the metal washer. With thrust washer prop then black washer the splines stick out a small amount so there is no contact between the black washer and the metal washer once tightened.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

" I BELIEVE it's a TP Hustler?" Provide exact model/part numbers please...of your prop, your hub kit, AND your motor. Based on vague info provided thusfar, I am becoming about 98% sure you purchased the wrong stuff for your motor...were you extremely specific with Dans Discount props when you ordered? Please be aware that all 2000 Johnson 50's are NOT the same. Couple that with the fact that Hustler has changed their hub designs a few times over the years...and I have no idea if you got a new/late model or an older/discontinued model "new" Hustler propeller at discount?

I see at least 3 possibilities. I THINK you might need these instructions for Hub kit #33, not the first ones I sent:
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/IMAGES/hub_33_inst.pdf

However if it's a Turning Point Hustler on a 2000 50 Johnson SPECIAL, you need might hub kit #12, which is this one:
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/IMAGES/hub_12_inst.pdf

Note if it's hub kit #33 above, you simply have OEM thrust washer, prop, spacer, then nut. That particular setup doesn't even use a "plastic washer" that you keep referring to.

AND...last and MOST likely, I think it is entirely possible that with many of Turning Point's Hustler props that you might actually need hub kit #503 for the standard Johnson 50, which is a kit that provides you with a DIFFERENT thrust washer to replace your OEM washer:
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/IMAGES/hub_503_inst.pdf

And this "metal washer" you refer to, is it splined? It should fit those splines, it shouldn't just be a roound washer.

It is very very difficult to help you out if we don't know exact product you are trying to install...and we don't know even what specific Johnson motor you have. I'm completely drawing straws here and flat-out guessing what produuct you have purchased AND what exact motor you are trying to put on.

The absolute best guess I can provide for you? I HONESTLY BELIEVE YOU HAVE PURCHASED THE WRONG HUB KIT FOR YOUR PARTICULAR MOTOR/PROP COMBO....whatever combo that actually is...especially if you were not perfectly specific with the seller about EXACTLY which motor you own. So again I highly suggest you contact Dans Discount props where you purchased this from and give them an opportunity to help you out, after you learn your exact engine part number, etc....we really are doing nothing but spinning our wheels here...

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I will get the exact model when I get home but what I can tell you is at I have a 2000 50hp Johnson 2stroke model j50plssm. When I called dans I told him the engine and he recommended me this prop and hub kit. I guess I should have asked more questions when I did but he said this is the prop and hub kit for your application and I will send it out ASAP. He didn't tell me it made a difference with anything I said are your sure and he said that's all the info I need.

As for the metal washer it has no splines on it just a regular old washer, the black washer is splined and is about a half. Inch thick with a little raised edge on one side. Followed the instructions like it said

I will get the info when I get home today and update

Thanks
Randy

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Will be interesting to hear what he sent you. The good news is that if you gave him that specific engine model number up front, and he still sent you the wrong hub kit, it should be his responsibility to correct and not yours.

I'm still quite certain that he simply sent you the wrong hub kit in error...there's only so many ways 3 parts can be put on there. And if you have enough play in there with all parts in place that the nut still won't tighten down to the prop, then you simply have the incorrect parts in your hands...

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

He sold me the number 12 and that's what he said it called for so did turning point he (turning point) said the 503 was for IO motors and v6 outboards. He said the 12 is for the small gear case johnsons. The guy at tp said I need to add a white washer from my original prop as well although there is no instructions for that.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Well....when I start at Turning Point's website:
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/#pwHelp_div1

And I enter Johnson, 50, 50, 2000, it tells me you need hub #503.

If I enter Johnson, 50, 50 SPECIAL, 2000, it tells me you need hub #12.

So if the guy on the phone at Turning Point is telling you that you need a 12, then he's either saying your motor is a model 50 Special (which it seems to me it is not) or he's saying that their prop selector on their own website is not working correctly. Garbage in, garbage out...

Anyway, if he's got you fixed up, then he's got you fixed up...and that's good. So I take it adding the white washer fixed your problem? Hopefully yes. Certainly you're talking to the right people now to get it going...

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

Haven't tried the white one yet I haven't had time to try it I am just wondering if I need to try the other hub it makes me kinda leery just adding other spacers when obviously if I had the correct hub it should be direct bolt on, or at least that's how I see it.

Im going to do some more research and see what turns up

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

whats the difference between the 50 and the 50 special?

The only thing that I can tell is the prop selection size. I got a 11 3/4 x 17 prop there isnt one listed for the regular 50 but under the 50 special there is the prop I bought which has the number 12 hub

whats gives I just hate rigging stuff the wrong way

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sorry but I don't really understand the difference between the 2 models myself.

Maybe someone else here, or someone over in the Evinrude/Johnson outboard section can shed some light on it. I can only assume it has to do with the size of the gearcase and/or the size (probably length?) of the propshaft. But I admit I am only guessing.

I have seen SEVERAL propeller sites of different brands, not just Turning Point, that mention this distinction between 50 and 50 Special, and require different hubs/props to fit the 2 different models.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

ya Idk what to do I just want it to last and be a good runner and not have to worry