Started my disk brake electric/hydrulic upgrade

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Finally started to replace the drum surge brakes on my trailer with kodiak disk and brakerite-II electric/hydrulic. Total cost around 1500.00

IMG_4654.resized.JPG

IMG_4648.resized.JPG

IMG_4650.resized.JPG

IMG_4651.resized.JPG

IMG_4657.resized.JPG

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Started my disk brake electric/hydrulic upgrade

Any reason why you went with the BrakeRite II vs the Brakerite EHB?

G

Wana come do mine for me too PLEASE :D I am starting to replace my drum brakes with disc as well but ran into a little problem with the brearings not matching axle hubs. So Monday I will go to the local bearing shop and get some to fit (fingers crossed) in hopes that is all I need to finish the job :facepalm:

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will be VERY happy!!! I did a similar swap on my 12,000lb capacity Shoreland'r trailer although I used a Carslile Hydrastar electric over hydraulic unit. The Brakerite unit is better quality and will last longer, I am on my 2nd Hydastar in 7 years. I actually ran electric over hydraulic on my drum brakes for 5 years before converting to disc. Make sure you select a cab controller that is compatible with electric over hydraulic units..... some are not and will result in ealy life failures of your Brakerite unit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just a warning about the BrakeRite unit. I had to replace mine because moisture got into the brake fluid through the filler cap gaskets. The pump locked up. I am now going to be more diligent about replacing the gaskets and covering the whole unit with a plastic bag during the rainy off season.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

oooohh shiny 0.0 if i had $1500 to blow id keep filling my boat gas tank for the summer hope they work out for you.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did it for my own personal comfort. I trailer the boat to chesapeake bay a few times a year. It's about 140 miles one way. My boat and trailer weigh in at 9200 lbs. You know it's back there esp when going down hills. The surge activated drums just were't cutting it. It would be nice to be able to push a button and have just the trailer brakes apply when necc. Plus having the disk should help with stopping power when some idiot decides there going to pull out in front of me then slow down. i got a digital in cab brake controller that has a setting for electric over hydrulics.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

oooohh shiny 0.0 if i had $1500 to blow id keep filling my boat gas tank for the summer hope they work out for you.
I think you have to look at the delta price between a hydraulic coupler and the cost of the elec/hydraulic unit and the cab controller. Like lim4x4, I chose to go the route of the elec/hydraulic for the safety aspect. i also chose the Kodiak brakes so my sytem is almost exactly the same and I am very happy with its performance. I haul a 24' boat with a 2000 1/2 Chevy pickup so I am at the top end of what can really be towed with that truck.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat isn't heavy enough that I feel I need electric/hydraulic. But I also tow a 27' travel trailer at about 8000lb. I installed electric/hydraulic disc on that and the difference was AMAZING. I could stop the whole rig pretty easily using just the trailer brakes. It's much more comfortable feeling in traffic, as my combined rig can still stop in the same distance as just the truck. I'm a believer. I would put the electric/hydraulic on the boat also, if the price was a little less steep for those controllers.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I chose to go E/H on the trailer for my new to me boat because I never liked the surge brakes on a camper that I have. I converted the camper to electric and never looked back.

The E/H disc setup on the boat trailer proved itself the very first time I towed the boat.
An idiot pulled out in front of me, and nearly stopped. I don;t think I could have stopped the truck alone with out nearly hitting him. The whole rig stops better than just the truck by itself.

I too am at the upper limit of what I can tow with my F-150. The E/H disc setup it worth the money.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to hold off getting my brakes changed over to disc. I have 10 inch wheels and it seems like no one makes Disc brakes for a 10 inch clearance so First I need to change my fenders to take a 13 ich tire and wheel,Then I need to get 5- 13 inch wheels and tires. One's a spare.Then later this year I'll get the Disc brakes done .Non Electric.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just an update. After installing the system and working out the kinks. It was money well spent. When needed i can stop on the dime just using the trailer brakes if i had to. I also have a single axle surge/drum setup for my other boat. Next year that's going to be converted as well. I'm a firm believer in a E/H setup