87 Johnson 150 hp vro amputation.

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks, I've got an 87 150 hp Johnson and I want to completely remove the vro system, pump lines and all. Does anyone know if I can just put on a diaphragm pump on and call it a day. What kind of flow rate am I looking for? Is there an omc part number that I can just give to the parts guy? There are a bunch of small rubber lines going to the reed block, should those be capped? Thanks for the help.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 87 Johnson 150 hp vro amputation.

is the fuel side of your vro pump bad?? all you have to do is plug the oil line going into the vro and disconnect the vro wire harness and start premixing..no need to throw away a perfectly good fuel pump...there is a non-vro fuel pump that fits the bracket you already have, (I got one on mine) but it cost almost as much as the vro one..

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 87 Johnson 150 hp vro amputation.

The boat was swamped and the built in fuel tank and the oil tank were filled with water all the fuel and oil lines showed water. The motor is good and the carbs are good but I don't really trust the vro pump after having a salt water bath. That and I kinda like the simple look with out the pump and all the plumbing.