Uflex Rotech Steering on a 3.0 Alpha

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
All-

Just curious if any on has installed the Rotech system on an alpha one. I'm thinking i need a special cable? seems the one they sent me was for an outboard. If anyone has any experience with this please post.

many thanks

Tim

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Uflex Rotech Steering on a 3.0 Alpha

thanks, i've been out there as well. my question is really on how this attaches to the I/O steering mechanism.. When i bought it the gent assured me it would work, but doesn't seem like it will mate up properly.. Seems everything on the site indicates how it would work for an outboard but not an i/o.

Thanks though!

T

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Tim,

If the end of the cable does NOT look like the one in the bottom of the following picture, you clearly have the wrong cable.

TEL-SSC6110_med.jpg

Some cables are designed for hydraulic steering systems I suppose. I assume you did not have power steering on your Alpha?

Do you have an OEM service manual for your Mercruiser?

It will help if you post the model/serial of your engine and drive

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay sweet, seems i have the proper cable.. And i will get model numbers and some pics, as soon as it stops raining... But my real quandary comes down to that nut (as pictured). It appears that the threaded "pipe" where the current rack system is attached is far bigger than the nut on the new one. I hope that makes sense, if not i'll use the pics to add clarity to my dilemma. Is that nut standard for both i/o and outboard?

I appreciate the help

Tim

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I am fairly sure that the cables are standardized...

Do you have the original cable/steering system that was on the drive?

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

THanks, I do have the original, it is still on the boat as today i started removing it from the helm. I went back to the engine to unbolt it and it started raining so i didn't get it out, but it sure didn't look right.. anyway, based on what you said i'll keep progressing this week with the assumption that it is the same, and that it will fit. Though i wouldn't be surprised if it was different..

thanks a million for the pic and confirming what i have should work.

Tim