2001 Johnson 150 bucking at around 2500 rpm after 1 hr of running

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my boat out yesterday. Had almost a full tank from before Winter , so I wanted to run out the gas before I started to put some new gas in. The engine ran fine for over an 1 at 4k rpm. I ran it up and down the bay. As I was headed in... I decided to speed up a little to 5k. All of a sudden the engine just backed the rpms down and started to buck/shake/whatever you'd like to call it. It would run fine under 2500. As soon as I would start to give it some gas it would act up again. I had no choice but to motor in at 2200. One thing that did happen was the overheat alarm fired off once, but then it turned " Off". I run my engine 50:1 from the tank , so I know it wasn't out of oil. Temperature was fine. Indicator was at mid point. Though when you run at that high idle and the boat doesn't plain out... the temp. does tend to creep up, but well within running parameters.
When I got home. I drained the racor filter from the bottom and also opened up all the carbs to drain them as well to see if I had water in the fuel system. I only saw a bit in the container( I assume from the bottom of the racor bowl.
Does this sound like a fuel delievery problem or could there be something else like the powerpack starting to act up. The only reason I mention the Power pack... because the high temp light lid up and the motor wasn't overheating. Maybe the engine went into limp mode due to the power pack? I also checked the reverse switch to see if it was grounding and had shut off half of my bank, but it was fine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you!!!

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2001 Johnson 150 bucking at around 2500 rpm after 1 hr of running

Your outboard went into SLOW mode. Check your temp sensors.

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Johnson 150 bucking at around 2500 rpm after 1 hr of running

Best I could do big guy!!!! Cheers!!
samadams.jpg

I took both sensors off and heated a pot of water to about 180 degrees( used temperature gauge). Put the port sensor in first and nothing. It remained open. I took the starboard sensor and placed it in the pot and within 5 seconds the chassis "made" to the wire. Found my Gremlin!!!
Thank you once again for the time and money this beautiful place saved me!