4.3 GXI seized

puddle jumper

Captain
4.3 GXI V6

My friend took his boat out on Friday with out any problems. Saturday he got half a day and the engine lost some power but the boat would stay up on plane. when he came into the brake water and cut back on the gas the engine died. When he tried to restart it it just turned over very slow. When I got to it the engine would not turn over at all. He said the engine did not over heat or loose oil psi. He thinks the engine cant be seized.

I took the water manifolds off and and water came out of the exhaust ports. Then I removed the spark plugs and water came out of #1 and #6 plug holes and engine still not turning over. Removed the starter and the leg to make sure that nothing stopping the engine from turning over, all looked good. I then took the water pump and timing chain cover off to see if the chain had piled up. It was fine so I moved the cam and balance shaft and both moved in the free play of the gears and chain. Crank will not budge so I am thinking that ether a crank bearing or piston has seized up. Before I tell him the bad news is there any other thing that anyone can think of that may be the problem. The funny thing was there was no metal in the oil filter when I cut it open.

I am thinking that the exhaust manifolds may have caused the problem to start with. But both sides at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated thanks Kerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 GXI seized

4.3 GXI what? the letter/S after is what tells us what it is exactly.
Is this a salt water boat? Is it the first run of the season? Was it winterized properly?
I can't see a minor manifold/riser leak being the cause that quick.

puddle jumper

Captain

This is the info I got.
4.3 GXI-B
190hp
E4400

Yes it Is salt water boat and as far as I know it was winterized properly. It was the second run of the year a day after the first run.

I was told that that if the boat slowed down too fast the wake water can flood the engine but he exhaust comes out the leg so I am thinking that that's probably not the root problem.

Last edited:

Don S

I was told that that if the boat slowed down too fast the wake water can flood the engine but he exhaust comes out the leg so I am thinking that that's probably not the root problem

The water won't come back up the exhaust as long as the engine is running, it can happen if you are on plane and just put it in neutral and shut the engine off.
For that engine to have running problems first and loosing power, there had to be an engine problem first. If you have all the water out of it, start the engine for about 15 seconds without water just to make sure all the water is out, then do a compression test.

puddle jumper

Captain

I cant turn the engine over by hand. I am quite sure that the engine is seized and need to know is there any other part of the drive train that could be stopping the crank from turning.I removed the leg and starter just in case it was them. Is there a bearing or something on or near the fly wheel that I cant see that may be causing the problem.

Thanks for the input

Don S

If you removed the outdrive and the engine still doesn't turn over, it's the engine.

puddle jumper

Captain

Thank you I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something before I told him.