1953 Dolphin sportabout

RI-Ron

Cadet
I just picked up what i believe is a 1953 Dolphin sportabout built by the Barnes boat co. I cant find any info on the boat other than a small black and white pict. Would like to know if anyone has some info on it. It has a buccaneer 30hp, also 1953.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1953 Dolphin sportabout

I just picked up what i believe is a 1953 Dolphin sportabout built by the Barnes boat co. I cant find any info on the boat other than a small black and white pict. Would like to know if anyone has some info on it. It has a buccaneer 30hp, also 1953.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Got any Pictures,..??

RI-Ron

Cadet

Ill try to do picts tomorrow. Its an aluminum boat about 15ft long .

RI-Ron

Cadet

IMG_0659.jpgIMG_0654.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpg well here she is.any idea on how this drain works ? Doesnt seem to be able to lock closed,spring loaded open.

Ned L

Commander

I believe your drain plug is supposed to close by pushing down & turning. If there is sort of a 'scoop' on the outside of the thruhull fitting for the drain than that is a 'sef bailing' drain. The idea being that when the boat is up on top planing you can open the drain & the venturi action will suck the water out of the boat (don't forget to close the drain when you slow down!).

gard

Recruit

I have one too, though I believe mine may be newer. Mine has a much more barrel type stern. I had it painted to look like a woody, and when moving, it fools folks. If you like, I can send you some pics.

RI-Ron

Cadet

That would be great. I keep thinkin this boat needs a good paint job.

gard

Recruit

That would be great. I keep thinkin this boat needs a good paint job.

May be a couple of weeks. I keep the boat about 300 miles from home on a lake in NH.

Best,

phillijr

Recruit

my wife has a 58 we fixed up. Was her grandfathers and she had happy memories of running it around the lake when she was a kid, it was trashed and getting tossed so we fixed it up. We repainted as it came originonally. The white stripe was not wrapped over the top originally but thought it would be cooler to the arm. Has a 59 johnson 35 on it which her grandfather had bought with it. Makes it to Maine once a year so she can play with it and re-live her happy childhood memories
IMG_5594--.jpg