Yamaha 4hp 4stroke advice needed

j4mie

Cadet
Hi all hoping someone can shed some light for me as i have never owned a yamaha or a 4stroke before.
When i start it, it runs lovely and sounds smooth and quite, but there is only a spray of water coming from the outlet at the back not a constant stream.
I have had the gearbox off and the impellor looks fine as does the gasket, there was a small sign of salt but not much.

I also noticed when running i cant get it in gear, i know the gearbox is free as when i took it off i checked it too make sure the gears engaged correctly, the lever does move slightly but it seems there is something blocking it or a safety catch? I dont think the lever is seized as the engine i was told was serviced last october.

Any advice and pointers will be greatly received.

jamie

j4mie

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 4hp 4stroke advice needed

Hi again, The gearbox select lever that you turn has a ball bearing which is very stiff, this is the culprit for the gear change issue.
The water issue however is still ongoing, i have taken the thermostat housing off and the anode inside is very crumbly, so i think this is in need of a change.
How difficult should it be to open and close the thermostat itself?
Should the engine pump a constant source of water even when the thermostat is closed or only when it is open?
I seem to get a spray of water but once engine is hot and in my opinion nearing to hot it will start pumping more water, this water is almost to hot to put your hand under.