merc 215e

smittygibson

Recruit
lookin to swap out merc 215e electric shift outdrive its complete shift fine manually but electric shift wont spin its hooked to 351w witch runs great wantig to switch to alpha is this possible? can i just put a merc bill housing and coupler on exsiting motor and connect to alph transom assembly/

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc 215e

can i just put a merc bill housing and coupler on exsiting motor and connect to alph transom assembly/

Ayuh,... The Ford motors were never used with the Alpha 1 drives,...
The bellhousing, aka; Flywheel cover, Doesn't exist...

dubs283

Vice Admiral

The Ford motors were never used with the Alpha 1 drives

but they were used with the 888 drives which is the same design as an MC-1 (pre-alpha)

just make sure the proper gear ratio is used

Bondo

Staff member

but they were used with the 888 drives which is the same design as an MC-1 (pre-alpha)

just make sure the proper gear ratio is used

Ayuh,... While that's True, it will Not mount to an Alpha 1, which was the question...
The rear motor mount spacing is waaaay different...

smittygibson

Recruit

well sounds like my only option is out board it an older house boat with electic shift and clutch wich im told was a horrible design, its ashame someone rebuilt the motor and runs perfect just the tr drives electric shift activator isnt, this thing is a monster the prop is 19'' in diam and trim cylinders are huge catually the drives all there in good shape

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the tr drive is probably worth some good coin on ebay

might supplement an old 888 bell housing, transom assy, and drive