2003 yamaha hpdi alarm sounding constantly

chrispcon40

Cadet
i went to start my engine today. last used the boat on sunday (a week ago). today, when i went to start the engine the alarm sounded. i checked the oil, and it was fine. wasnt overheating, because i was attempting to start it cold. everything seemed okay so i checked again and the alarm sounded. the engine even turned over...no problem, started right up. but the alarm continued to sound.

anyone have any ideas what it could be?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 yamaha hpdi alarm sounding constantly

do you have a water detection on the filter?

A solid alarm means no oil or overheat. A intermittent beep means low oil.
Carefully look for any pink wire that has grounded itself to the block

Follow these instructions:
oil_level_check.png

If that checks out take out the temp sensor, black/yellow wire
temp_resisitance.png

But you need to verify that you are not overheating, in the water not on flushette

These are for a 200 HPDI for better results include you model number

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Chris you have a PM

chrispcon40

Cadet

there is a water fuel seperator. i emptied it the other day because it seemed full. as soon as i started the engine (with the cowl off) it filled right back up. my assumptioin was it filled with fuel. is there a reset button (or method to reset) the water fuel seperator?

On the engine;find the fuel filter, is their wires coming out of the bottom of the plastic filter housing?

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replying for for crispycon40...........There are wires on the bottom and when disconnected the alarm stops. We dont know if its the connection or the whole fuel filter it self.

You need to take apart the filter, might as well purchase a new filter and oring, dump the contents into a glass container and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Any water will settle to the bottom of the container a leave a visible line seen. If water is present, sensor is working properly, test sensor with housing empty and upside down (and then right side up, shake it around while testing). If you have continuity with nothing in the filter housing sensor is bad and new housing needs to be purchased. If you have water present in the filter you need to drain the VST and check for water there too. If you determine you have water intrusion you need to drain the gas tank until you have verified you have nothing but straight gas.

chrispcon40

Cadet

drained the fuel in the housing. reconnected with no fluid in housing. alarms still sounding.
no water present in the fluid i drained

with housing in and connections apart, no sound. as soon as i connect wires, alarm sounds...

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Float switch in filter has gone bad sounds like, can be run without it connected but I would get a new one as soon as you can just to make sure you do not end up with water getting into the motor's fuel system without you knowing about it.

chrispcon40

Cadet

what should the ohm meter be set to? what is a good and bad reading?

chrispcon40

Cadet

thanks for the help...got a technician coming out. will post the outcome.

bad sensor in the water fuel seperator caused the whole issue.