Stealing motors

wisgirl

Recruit
I just want everyone to be aware they r stealing motors like crazy. We had our yamaha 4stroke 75hp motor stolen last summer and heard it has started again this summer. They cut all cables and away they went. It is very fustrating. We have a beautiful bennington brand new boat with no motor. Was my parents after this they wanted nothing to do with it so i bought it now replacing it with a used 115 mercury 2 strke I just dont want something like that to happen to someone else. BEWARE

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stealing motors

That is why Texas titles outboards, wisgirl. They can't sell a stolen outboard here or anywhere else a title is required. Yes, they still steal some, then take them to WI or some other non-title state to sell them.

Sorry for your misfortune. No insurance?? Should have had it. When mine was stolen, back in the 70s, Insurance had a new one mounted in less than a week.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its the same anywhere. If they think they can get something for it, it will disappear. I guess it also depends on how accessible your motor is to thieves. An outboard lock won't always stop them, but it might deter someone if it looks like it would be an effort to steal it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's the good thing about living in the cowntry and launching every time you go out!

The boat stays at home where you are, and the thieves know that you have both side arms and shoulder fire weapons as well as loud/noisy guard/watch dogs... for them, it's just not worth getting their butt shot off for an ol' outboard motor!!!

If you keep your boat at a weekend lakehouse, a well lit dock will deter a lot! Either motion detector or photocell lights are a must!!! Thieves love the darkness and prosper where it is found!!!

I live out in the cowntry and have a very loud/noisy Border Collie... I also have an assorted collection of 7.62x.39 SKS's and an assortment of side arms with the Dan Wesson .357 being my "go to"... I promise, you don't wanna be anywhere near the sights when that dang thing goes off!:eek:

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

It really angers me when stuff gets stolen. Like when you go on Craigslist and you see tons of props for like $25 and they have no info on it.....just whats stamped on the hub. I had someone steal my gas tank once out of my boat, so now it's tied to the boat with a steel cable. Sad thing was, the tank leaked, had REALLY bad gas in it (smelled like varnish), so I slept better thinking that whoever ran it, probably destoyed the engine it was ran in (hopefully fuel injected). Anyway, if it's not anchored down.....it's locked in my house, not in my boat. The worse the economy gets, the more people steal.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It really angers me when stuff gets stolen. Like when you go on Craigslist and you see tons of props for like $25 and they have no info on it.....just whats stamped on the hub. I had someone steal my gas tank once out of my boat, so now it's tied to the boat with a steel cable. Sad thing was, the tank leaked, had REALLY bad gas in it (smelled like varnish), so I slept better thinking that whoever ran it, probably destoyed the engine it was ran in (hopefully fuel injected). Anyway, if it's not anchored down.....it's locked in my house, not in my boat. The worse the economy gets, the more people steal.

Only if you live in an urban area!!!

... people are afeared of REDNECKS that live out in the COWNTRY!!!

... I dunno why, we're some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet!... unless you're trying to steal from us!!!!!!!!!!!!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Latest trend in my area is you launch your boat and park your vehicule and trailer. Upon your return the trailer is gone. No matter if you have good insurance the real problem is what do you do with your boat without a trailer to take it out of the water ? This obviously happens at small launch sites. Nice people huh ! I agree with previous posts, this is an urban problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I imagine the battery powered saws-all is the tool of choice. You can slice a transom, cut a Cat off a car/truck and still go home and use it for work.

You really are not going to beat the thieves ........... if you live in that type of area.

Thieves have two things......opportunity and re-sale market.......... oh make that three ....and a saws-all!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just to be redundant, good insurance will go a long way toward easing the pain.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just to be redundant, good insurance will go a long way toward easing the pain.

Roger that. I never thought about the benefit of having the motor registered. I bought our barge in Missouri and the motor was titled, which Arkansas doesn't do. Title for the trailer and bill of sale for the rest.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

We have recently had alot more thefts at a local river ramp.siphoning gas from parked tow vehicles,stolen trailors,wheels and contents of locked vehicles.I think the S O Bs are more brazen because they can hear a boat approach the ramp from a long way off and haul *****.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

we had a bit oh trouble at a local launch ramp a yr or so ago... being in a nice red blooded state (AZ) the answer was simple.
So while everyone got into their boats and scooted away, two of us hid in the bushes and quietly waited for the would be theives.....about 1030AM give or take they rolled up in a toyota pick em up... what they saw was trucks and trailers... not a boat or person in sight. :rolleyes:
We quietly waited til they had gotten out of the truck and were starting to do the looky loo routine through the windows of all the trucks.
Then we very very quietly came out of the bushes with assault style weapons..... :cool:

lol

and started chatting with ea other just loud enough for them to hear ..."so and so got his (whatever) stolen last weekend, hope we find them SOBs stealing something here this weekend, thinking if we did we could bury em over there in the field and no one would notice"....... :cool:

now please note never did we actually look at these folks at this time, nor refer directly to them, nor point a weapon in their direction.... ... hell when they walked rigidly back to their truck we even said hello and waved all nice and friendly like. :D

Nothing has even thought about being stolen since then... my guess is word travels fast that their are people that are a tad bit ticked off about thefts and watching over the rigs.

not suggesting this method.... but ......................... we'll heck what you expect of us red necks
Sean

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's where Abus marine locks and McGard transom locks come in...also Trimax makes good marine locks...the more the better.I use them all...

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If they're unbolting the motors, a couple tack welds on the nuts would stop them from getting the bolts out. If they're cutting transoms, I don't really know what you could do other than not leave it somewhere unsecured.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

:facepalm:

Yeah because everyone is going to camp out on their boat 24/7 with a handgun waiting to see if their motor might be stolen....

I don't have to camp out and wait for them. The dog will tell me.

Although the go to is a 12 ga, not a 45.

.45's are great, but the 12 ga works for everything. Not just thieves. Usually it is just critters that need to be discouraged.

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some renters/homeowners insurance agencies will cover the loss or theft of anything on your property including your boat and motor. I have USAA and they do. You just have to call them and specifically ask about it. As for theft while out and about, carry a gun and never stray far from your boat. Hell I wont even leave mine in the parking lot while I go in the store to get bait unless I have a fishing buddy that can stay with it. As far as trailer theft I guess there really aint much you can do, a persistent thief will get their way. All you can do is hope that carma gets its way with them.

nwcove

Admiral

gawd...gotto love american gun laws!!! truely wish it were the same here in canada! its a shame its come to the way things are now. the lake i fish, everyone had a homemade skid to pull up thier small 12 to 14 foot boats after a morning of trolling, you could leave everything there....come back days later all your stuff would be untouched....and if it rained and the lake level came up enuf that your boat was somewhat afloat, someone would have pulled it up a bit, and even bailed it out....i did the same many times.
now you cant even leave your leaky plywood skiff in what you thought was a remote location, the thieves will work thier asses off to steal stuff that isnt really worth stealing!
its truely sad.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

My motor is locked thru the bolts to the transom, my trailer is locked to a steel pole concreated in the ground, if they manage to get it, I have great insurance. Really, what else can ya do except stand guard. I hate friggin thievs.

red