I just figured out the missing sock dilemma . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
No, I don't know where they go . . . but hang with me here for a second. I'm 51, and this still drives me crazy, but I just now figured out the solution. In the hopes of saving some of our younger members 30+ years of torture and confusion, I get it now. I just told Mrs. QC to buy me three types of socks from now on. Maybe I push it to four. White, Black, Brown. Find an established brand, and NEVER BUY ANYTHING BUT THOSE AGAIN. EVER!!!!!!

If she does that, I should always be able to find a match, forever and ever and ever. I am sooooooooooo happy :facepalm:

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: I just figured out the missing sock dilemma . . .

I just have the wife buy me one color, white. If I need to wear a good pair of shoes, I just put on the snakeskin boots to hide the socks....;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I wear suits and dress slacks a lot for work, so this honestly hadn't occured to me. Call me stupid.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yep, a nice pair of boots go great with a suit.....:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The missing sock mystery was solved by my brother years ago.

They turn into wire hangars and overpopulate the closet.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wife solved this issue a few years ago, only color is white. Two types, ankle for shorts and mid calf for boots and pants. I only have about 6 pair of black socks for my suits.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I truly own 24 pairs of white Hanes ankle high sweat socks. They're all the same. Have been doing this for about 15 yrs now. I don't know if some are missing, but I can match my socks in the dark. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I told you guys you can call me stupid. It took this long for me to figure this out . . . :rolleyes:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The missing sock mystery was solved by my brother years ago.

They turn into wire hangars and overpopulate the closet.

I know I disagree with JB at my own peril, but I believe that a few years ago NASA established that there is an orbiting layer of socks in the Upper Atmosphere that they named the "Hoseone Layer". ;):facepalm:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Was anyone in the house into sock puppets at one time or another, are you missing buttons as well????? :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Tie a crankbait w sharp treble hooks to some fishing line and drop it or "Fish" behind the washer and dryer.You may be suprised at what you catch along w a limit of missing socks!!!!:D

puddle jumper

Captain

I found my socks, on my daughters feet. :facepalm:

I to only get one kind of sock so they always match.;)

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I have a drawer full of white tube socks and two pair of dress socks....one black and one brown

G

LOL QC I have had that all figured out for years now :cool: Just buy nothing but black socks and you'll ALWAYS have a matched set no mater what happens to them in the washer or dryer :D So now you have the secret :facepalm: Don't spoil it buying those other colors.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

LOL QC I have had that all figured out for years now :cool: Just buy nothing but black socks and you'll ALWAYS have a matched set no mater what happens to them in the washer or dryer :D So now you have the secret :facepalm: Don't spoil it buying those other colors.

This explains the "old guys" in shorts and black socks

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Been thinking about this QC. I wear only Caterpillar socks, buy them by the pack. Right color, and they last. Thought you'd be in to them.
Mind you, there seems to be a left and a right to them, so that would probably stump a lot of blokes.
Cheers
Phillip

fishrdan

Admiral

I have this dilemma figured out...

You really only need 2 colors of socks white and black. White for every day and black for Sunday/go to meeting. My idea (well, invention that is...) is the reversible sock! White on the outside and black on the inside. Need to go to that important meeting right after hitting the gym, just turn them inside out, need to coach the kids baseball game right after the meeting, just turn them inside out. Just make sure you don't dress in the dark, you'll look kind of goofy with 1 white and 1 black sock.

(For those of you that insist on brown socks, just wait a few years, they'll turn brown :D)

Oh yeah, If I see a infomercial come on the tube advertising reversible socks,,, I want my cut....