Tohatsu 90TLDI gearshift and impeller

KingNeptune

Recruit
Just changed out the impeller on my good ol' Tohatsu 90TLDI and reassembled it and now it does not go into gear.

Now before you say I haven't reconnected the gearshift rod with the small pin, I have.

It appears the gearshift mechanism has disconnected or broken somewhere just under the engine when I was working on the lower leg.

When I move the throttle handle there is movement down to the control arm on the engine, but there is no movement down below near the prop.

I am hoping someone can tell me this can be easily fixed, but I suspect it is a big job.

I also have water pumping out everywhere except the telltale, and I was hoping it is possible to clear the upper water pathway around the injector pump easily?

The engine also appears to have carbon buildup and has been idling rough lately, I am going to try a can of the decarbon spray once she is going properly again, anyone had much luck with these sprays?

KingNeptune

Recruit
Re: Tohatsu 90TLDI gearshift and impeller

Have fixed the gear change issue - the top mechanism does not have a retainer and the arm slipped off when I undid the bottom part, allowing it to spin slightly. A bloody nuisance, and it was very hard to get back on. I removed the oil bottle for access.

The water issue is more sinister. Loads of water is pumping out the front of the leg, but there is no telltale and I see now that water is leaking out between the top of the leg and the engine casing. I have been over rough roads and wonder if a seal, or worse, is damaged. Any guesses?

levi_tsk

Ensign

sounds like the water tube isnt in the grommet correctly

pvanv

Admiral

sounds like the water tube isnt in the grommet correctly

That'd be my initial thought. If the water tube isn't seated in the grommet in the top of the wp housing, the pump will just fill the exhaust housing leg, but not pressurize the cooling system.

KingNeptune

Recruit

Thanks fellas, the copper tube had been forced and bent when I put the leg back on, I gotta get rid of that big hammer :eek:

clubchuck

Cadet

How did you get the oil bottle off?

Have fixed the gear change issue - the top mechanism does not have a retainer and the arm slipped off when I undid the bottom part, allowing it to spin slightly. A bloody nuisance, and it was very hard to get back on. I removed the oil bottle for access.

The water issue is more sinister. Loads of water is pumping out the front of the leg, but there is no telltale and I see now that water is leaking out between the top of the leg and the engine casing. I have been over rough roads and wonder if a seal, or worse, is damaged. Any guesses?

pvanv

Admiral

How did you get the oil bottle off?

The TLDI is a completely different motor from your old 90A, so the tank arrangement shares little with your motor. Full info is in the Factory service manual.