Faria Tach not giving right reading with Evinrude Outboard

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I tryied to figure out what was going on with setting my idle this afternoon. The Tach is reading 650-700 rpm. But I have a another tach, direct read off the spark plug and its reading 2400 rpm (4 stroke meter). The other meter is an old sun systems meter.

Just wondering if Faria guages are compatable with Evinrude outboards. Id there something I need to change in the back. I'm going to take a look at the back of the guage tonight.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Faria Tach not giving right reading with Evinrude Outboard

Depending on the age of some gauges there will be an adjustment on the back as I'm sure you know by now, now I can only assume that your motor is a 2 cycle so therefore the 4 cycle tach would be incorrect, thus the 2400 rpm reading at idle.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For the v-4 & v-6 it's normally position #6 on the back of the tach. 2 cyl mtrs,#5 position. Farira is compatible with Evin.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 stroke fires every other time ?
So 4 STK reading divide by 2?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

I guess when I put my new gauges in here in a few weeks I will have to do a photo guide to help people in the future, the easier we can make it the more time people can spend on the water.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Figured it out on the Faria site. Their site takes a bit to navigate though. The old Force alternator use to put out 20 pulses a minute. All Evinrude puts out 12 pulses. Pulses of what I do not know. So I looked on the side of the gage and it said for 12 pulse position 3. Not 4 with was for 20 pulses. So Problem fixed. Don't really know how. But it worked. So we are full speed ahead with break-in/launch tomorrow on this issue.

Thanks for the respones Guys