tach not working on black scorpion

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 2005 5.7L black scorpion serial number 0M398298. i got the manuals off this site but am having trouble finding what i need.

the tach is not working, wires behind tach are good. as far as i can follow the manual the tach is on gray/wht off the ECM on pin A10 (on page 3a-3) the only other thing i see is on page 3a-7 it says G= tach signal out H= tach connector. the big round plug has #2 gry/wht going to A19 the chart on page 3A-3 says A19 is fuel pump relay control and should be dk-grn. am i missing something?

were should i start?
thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: tach not working on black scorpion

The way I read it, #10 pin ( grey/white ) has a test port (splice 113) then to pin #2 of the engine harness plug. Manual 36 ECM 555 page 3A-8

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i looked at it again, and i see what you mean. so the problem can be checked at pin A10pin. what type of signal should i see on my multimeter?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

says to install an analog tach at the pigtail by the ecm, start engine. If no reading consult appropriate manual.If there was a tach reading, then I`d say retest at the grey/white in the main harness (helm side, not engine side)just after the engine plug.

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i do not have an analog tach. is there a way i can do it with a multimeter? and by pig tail do you think that is splice 113?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That I can`t answer ,ecm`s can be tricky and expensive.
splice 113 is the pig tail.most systems leave a test port available instead of piercing a wire with a probe.
That leads to corrosion and corroded opens in the harness.

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for your help tonight, i will give it a go tomorrow

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i checked the big round 10 pin connector and it was corroded so i cleaned it up and still nothing. i found the test port but then got to thinking. the boat has perfect pass cruise control and it works off of speed or rpm. i looked at the back of the tach and the wire for the perfect pass (PP) comes off of the same stud as the factory signal so i switched the PP to RPM mode and the display on the PP shows the RPMs so it must be a good signal from the motor. does this sound right? if so the factory tach is probably bad. can they be rebuilt or just replace?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if the perfecrt pass module gets its RPM input signal from the same stud/wire that the tach gets its signal from, then yes - makes sense that the tach is bad

you are betterr off just replacing the tach - new with full warranty beats rebuilt with ? warranty