new comer!

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have just picked up a 1968 16' super sport that is in pretty rough shape. I decided to pull it apart and see how it looked under the floor boards because the previous owner said he needed run the pump after only an hour on the water.

I removed the floor boards, soaked flotation and saved the good flotation and I am drying out plywood to see if it can be salvaged.

This weekend I will powerwash the inside if the hull and fill her with water and see where she is leaking. Does anyone have experince with repairing the leaks and possibly replacing leaking rivets?

SH

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: new comer!

Welcome shickey!

Congrats on your new rig man!

Does anyone have experince with repairing the leaks and possibly replacing leaking rivets?

Youbetcha!

Click on the "Starcrafts being rebuilt" link in my signature there and you'll find more info than you can shake a stick at.

When you have a chance, post up some photos of your rig. We'd love to check it out.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

There are several of us doing, or have done, just what you are. Welcome aboard and good luck. To tighten the rivets which will usually get them to seal in my opinion, get a helper to hold a hammer, piece of steal, or something real hard, on the outside of the hull. You take another hammer and rap the rivet, hopefully the same one your helper is holding, fairly hard. You don't want to dent the boat, but you want to smash the rivet end tighter to the aluminum. I give it a couple good blows, and move on. On this site, most people recommend Gluvit which can be ordered at http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ITW-RM330K/ITW+Gluvit+Epoxy+Waterproof+Sealer.html . There are several other suitable seam sealers, most boat shops can recommend one. They will seal the seams, and some of the stubborn rivets., on the inside of the hull. There are several threads that can tell you what to do.
I'll say it again, welcome aboard and good luck. Oh and post pics or you'll hear about it alot.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Also toss all the old flotation it seems to retain water. The blue sheet foam at lowes or home depot will do. Also some have used pool noodles. Also don't try to reuse the plywood. It should be replaced. Do it right the first time. Just finished a 16 SS rebuild and yoiu will love the results on yours.

bananaboater

Ensign

Also toss all the old flotation it seems to retain water. The blue sheet foam at lowes or home depot will do. Also some have used pool noodles. Also don't try to reuse the plywood. It should be replaced. Do it right the first time.

Yup and the pink stiff foam is suitable too. Use the old ply as a template. Hey have you posted any pics yet? That is the exchange rate here for our advice! Looking forward to seeing your SS project.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately about 10 rivets in the bow area are leaking real bad. I would probably need to replace those rivets but could pound the other ones that are weeping. I am new to this forum stuff so please excuse me if I mess up the messages or pictures.

Today I power washed the inside of my empty hull and filled it with water to check for leaks. My plan now is to replace the worst rivets, hammer down the weeping ones, remove the hull from the trailer, flip it, sand down the hull, prime / paint, return it to the trailer, seal the inside of the hull with Gluvit and then put it back together. Hopefully this can be completed by the end of May and I can start using her in June. The real deadline is having it completely finished by Aug when I take my boys on a fishing/camping trip to the Adk Mts. here in NY. Now that trip is always a blast!!

I'll need some help figuring out how to add pictures. I have about 25 pictures of my boat from when I first saw it (March 11) through the disassemble process.

Thanks again!

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the madness, looking forward to photos of your new rig.
Glen

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll need some help figuring out how to add pictures. I have about 25 pictures of my boat from when I first saw it (March 11) through the disassemble process.

Welcome...This is just one of many ways of posting pictures (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=410147 )...Others have used another photo site and uploaded their pictures to it. Photobucket is one example of many.

EDIT:Looks like JA beat me to it.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK now I'm feeling real stupid. I viewed the instructions and when I click on the image icon I get a message asking for the URL of my image. The instructions showed a "from computer" or "from URL" choice. I know how to upload the images "from computer" but this option is not given to me unless I'm missing some other step. This is more exhausting than working on my boat!!

SH

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

You must get along with computers like me. If you can make them small enough, I'm thinking 80 to 100 kb, but don't remember for sure. You can click on reply, then advanced,manage attachments, a little box comes up, in upload files from computer, click choose file. Then you have to find where you hid them on your computer. Once you find them, there's a little box with smaller squares in it that says view menu. I click thumbnails and can see what I picking. Click open. Then click upload, and you have a small pic that shows at the bottom of your thread. People can click on one and it's get a little bigger. Probably not the easiest, but it's the way I know. That counts for something, and makes it the easiest for me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Create an account on photobucket.com and link to them from here. In my opinion, that is by far the easiest way to do pictures.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agrees with Ez on this big time. I do not do photos really well and photobucket has helped me out a lot that is for sure.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the photobucket advice. I'll look into it when we're slow at work. Getting back to my boat, tonight I removed about 10 very leaky rivets (some of them you could spin with your fingers). Can someone recommend the proper rivet material, style, and size to replace the solid rivets I have already removed. I would imagine I would want to use an extremely durable rivet and sealer for this application. I don't think I have the ability to replace the rivets with the solid type originally used on the boat. This part of the rebuild is the most challenging to me (except for the photos of course) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SH

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard shickey:)

You can use pop rivets, with 3M 5200 to seal the middle, or stainless bolts will also work with 5200.

Other than that, you can get closed-end rivets and buck them into place. Grainger or Fastenal has every rivet type known to mankind.