79 Evinrude 115hp... The bulb collapses and I don't know why. Help Please!

dhachtel

Recruit
I just bought this boat and it has been sitting for 6 years. I have done some recent fixes on it to eliminate some problems. My next step is to rebuild the fuel pump and carb kits. But for now the boat runs great for about the first few minutes and then it just bogges down. Sometimes it will die but start right back up. I just recently replaced both power packs and replaced the spark plugs with NKGs. I have taken the carbs apart already and cleaned them but I will probably go ahead and do the rebuild kits as well. After replacing the power packs I'm kind of led to believe now that my problem with bogging down is fuel related. Only problem is when I tried to pump more fuel with the primer bulb is was collapsed. Is it the fuel pump? I checked the tank vent and its wide open. I'm lost

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 79 Evinrude 115hp... The bulb collapses and I don't know why. Help Please!

either the tank vent hose is collapsing or the antisyphon valve is clogged.

NGK sparkplugs are the wrong plugs, if you need them to compensate for a problem the problem should be fixed.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Check the screen on the end of the pickup tube in the tank they sometimes get clogged up and need cleaning off.

dhachtel

Recruit

jonesg what kind of spark plugs would you recommend? Do you think my fuel pump could be causing some of the issues.

Thanks I'll check the screen too!

dhachtel

Recruit

Not sure I know where the anti syphon valve is. I took the hose for the vent off the tank. Vent is wide open

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure the arrow on bulb is pointing to the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the bulb collapses and is installed correctly it points to some kind of fuel restriction on the tank side of the bulb. But, I've also seen bulbs where the check valves break loose in them and cause the same prob.