1979 galaxy engine

holguinerito

Cadet
guys im looking at getting a 79 galaxy boat i notice it has a 120hp merc engine on it . is anyone familiar with that engine im trying to get more info on it ......

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 galaxy engine

4cyl Chevy block.Was and is called the Iron Duke.Good motor.
Used in millions and millions of cars and boats.J

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the 120 hp motor is okay if it has been properly maintained throughout the years

the older blocks and heads are definitely better than the new ones

hope you like yours shaken and not stirred - the 120 runs like a tractor

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

the 120 hp motor is okay if it has been properly maintained throughout the years

the older blocks and heads are definitely better than the new ones

hope you like yours shaken and not stirred - the 120 runs like a tractor

Yep, not super fast, but I had a boat with one in it Super strong (boat ran and planed if I was alone on it or was totally loaded to max capacity). Bullet prof Engine in my book (that was on My first boat and) I abused and neglected it (boating learning curve) and that lil engine never complained.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well......not to disparage longtime contributor JerryJerry.....the 4 cyl Chevrolet, later GM engine that has been used by Mercruiser is not the Iron Duke.....The Iron Duke was a Pontiac creation and was used in millions of cars.....The Mercruiser 120 was a originally a Chevrolet and first appeared in the 1962 Chevy II. I can find records of it being used there through 1969. As one who was in "town" (Flint, MI) when it was being built the vast majority of them were sold to the marine industry......many more in boats than were used in cars....though I believe that they also showed up in some "US Mail" vehicles over the years.....

Regardless one of the most durable and simplest powerplants to be used in boats.....actually much better suited to it's marine use than it was to use in "cars"...

Have one myself and it is one fine engine.....a bit coarse as mentioned above....will not REV like a Honda but for our use it doesn't need to.....

Just my thoughts.....