Prop shaft end play?

Slojoe

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 77 Evinrude 70 horse, the prop shaft moves in and out almost 1/4". I am wondering if this is normal or cause for concern. Everything else seems ok with the motor. Any advice is appreciated.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Prop shaft end play?

A Joe Reeves or F-R will have to chime in but my 77 15hp Rude and 87 150 johny both have that much play in them with no problems ever; I would think there has to be some movement in them.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

MY 88 40hp has about the same.

That little bit of movement is just a fact of life because of the design. I think everyone who's getting started out working on their own engine eventually notices that play and wonders about it. After I had a couple of lower units apart it became obvious where that play is coming from, and that it's normal.

OMC just measures pinion and forward backlash, as far as I know Suzuki and Yamaha are the only ones that had a spec for propshaft endplay.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure it is the prop shaft moving and not the prop sliding on the shaft? The latter could indicate a missing thrust washer, and if it is the forward one that is missing will have disasterous results. (never assume)

Are you sure it is the prop shaft moving and not the prop sliding on the shaft? The latter could indicate a missing thrust washer, and if it is the forward one that is missing will have disasterous results. (never assume)

This is a very good point, have seen numerous times the prop just secured by the cotter pin. Prop nut torque should be tight, refer to service manual but I would think that the nut should be torqued to 40-50 foot/lbs.