Fuel Restriction Horn 150 Evinrude Intruder

striker 4

Recruit
I have an earlier model 150 evinrude intruder, the built in test horn steadily alarms when key is turned indicating fuel restriction, according to Horn Cart/Placard next to drivers seat. When i crank the boat it generally fires right up other than maybe choking it. Once running it idles, accelerates, and planes just fine then runs good until it runs out of gas. In order to crank it back up you must prime bulb, the boat continues this. Any help is appreciated i am a new member and registered for this reason thank you for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Restriction Horn 150 Evinrude Intruder

The horn has a black built in wire leading to ground along with two slide on type terminals. The TAN wire should be connected to the slide on terminal closest to the black ground wire. If connected to the other terminal, weird things will happen.

I assume that you're saying that the warning horn sounds off steady and constant as soon as you turn the key to the ON position. This type warning is to warn of a fuel restriction and also for overheating, which is obvious not the case as the engine is not running in the first place.

Either the horn is faulty or one of the sensor devices has shorted out. To check the horn first, do the following.

With the key in the ON position and the horn sounding, remove the TAN wire. If the horn continues to sound, the horn is faulty. If the horn stopped sounding as soon as you removed that TAN wire, one of the sensors at the engine (wiring to VRO, wiring to fuel resriction vacuum switch, wiring to heat sensors... one at each cylinder head, wiring to oil tank) is shorted. Disconnect the sensors, one at a time until the horn stops sounding, at which time you've found the faulty sensor.

striker 4

Recruit

"which is obvious not the case as the engine is not running in the first place."

The boat does run until it runs out of gas after it accelerates and planes then you have to prime the bulb, and it is the same problem repeated.

As for the horn it started off beeping like it was suppose to, just a quick chirp then done. Then it started with the steady tone, but the boat ran fine and the tone would stop after 4-5 minutes of running the boat and start again after the boat has been off and sat for 5-10 more minutes; once again even though the horn was blowing steady it would run fine and the horn would eventually shut off after running the boat for a short amount of time. Now the horn goes off steady constantly the boat runs fine until on plane it runs out of gas horn does not shut off can't crank boat again until you prime the bulb then it repeats this.
Are you saying these sensors could cause the problem or just the horn, or that the horn and this problem are two seperate things only together by coincedence? If so what could be causing the fuel problem?

clanton

Rear Admiral

You have 2 different problems, 1 alarm system, 2. fuel system. Would help to know year, model, and 60 degree/90 degree. If your alarm horn has micro processor on the back side of horn, horn is probley bad.

hidef

Lieutenant

Are you saying the outboard will only run if you pump up the primer bulb? Then it will run until it runs out of fuel then you have to pump the bulb again? If that is the case I would suspect that either;
1) Your fuel pump is going bad and needs to be overhauled or replaced
2) You have a restriction in your fuel tank or line that is preventing the outboard from drawing fuel.

The only other thing that would make the horn blow continuously would be either a short or faulty sensor. The horn is a diagnostic tool I believe it is trying to tell you some. Check your fuel system. If you do not have the OMC service manual you can order it from

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php#manuals

Do not buy a third party manual as the are useless.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I'm aware that the engine does run, and that you run it out of gas which is not a good idea if that's a steady practice, but put that aside for now.....

Your very first sentence in your post states "I have an earlier model 150 evinrude intruder, the built in test horn steadily alarms when key is turned indicating fuel restriction,".

This leads me to believe that the horn sounds steady and constant as soon as the key is turned to the ON position, hence my suggestion and instructions to find the cause.

SparkieBoat

Captain

the intruder is a 60 degree motor, probably a 1995 give or take a year...follow Joes advice...he is right on...you also better premix your fuel 50:1 until you know everything is fixed right..

striker 4

Recruit

i unplugged tan wire coming from oil reservoir horn stopped so oil sensor correct? if so is that also causing my motor trouble?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

NO....... Find out why you have to pump the primer bulb to get it restarted. You could have some bad electronics in your oil tank causing the horn prob.

striker 4

Recruit

Ok well thank you, does anyone have any suggestions on my fuel problem seeing as how now we know that the horn is not related to this? Thank you for any feedback, and Joe specifically for the suggestions that led me to the resolution on the built in test horn.

striker 4

Recruit

Ok, today i have changed the fuel priming bulb, and checked the fuel filter on the motor its the same. I hooked the water hose to it cranked it up and it is giving the same symptoms with the exception of the horn i am getting ready to check and replace the fuel hoses. If it still acts up after that the only thing I know to check is the VRO. Any suggestions?

walleyd

Cadet

I have a "96 with the same fuel issue. I'm suspecting the fuel pump. While waiting for a rebuild kit to come in I checked the lines and bulb by siphoning the gas from the tank. I unhooked the fuel line from the filter at the motor and clamped on a hose the same dia. I was able to siphon 5 gal from the tank this way, full stream, no air. I figure this eliminated any restriction/air leaks in my bulb, hoses, pickup tube etc. I'm still betting on the pump. Will let you know after the rebuild.

esco

Cadet

It sounld to me you have a fuel restriction somwhere in the line. have you knoticed your bulb flattening out when you're running it?

What's your set up look like, are there any filters inline, are they all clean?

What about your vent line, is it clear as well?

Be sure to check that you don'd have any kinks in the fuel line too

walleyd

Cadet

Fuel lines/filter/bulb should all be good and no kinks. Like I said, I was able to siphon 5 ga of gas full stream from the tank through all lines b4efore VRO filter. Filters in VRO are also clean as well. That's why I'm betting on fuel pump.

Im having the same problem with my 1997 150 intruder but only does it when its been ran for a bit and sits on the lake and gets hot... my primer bulb doesnt flatten out but if i prime it till its rock hard it will get up and go then die when it runs out of gas...still working on it to see what the problem is...seems to be getting way to much oil or not enough fuel!

SparkieBoat

Captain

sounds like you all need new fuel pumps...not at all uncommon, Every single OMC I ever had I have had to replace the VRO/OMS fuel pumps..they sux bad and cost a lot.

everywere i turn it leads to the fuel pump also..i was just gonna try the cheap easy fix's like new fuel lines and filters. were is the most reasonable place to get a pump from? im kind of confused on this pump thing...is there a separate pump for the oil? or is it all one deal(VRO=fual and oil)?

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is a good price for that pump...bass you better test your warning horn.

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

From what you are describing it is a little difficult to tell if you are saying you are having a fuel restriction or no oil alarm. You stated when you unplugged the sensor off of the VRO that the alarm quit. If you have not been pre mixing your fuel, when you pump the ball it does not mix the oil, just sends straight fuel to the engine. You are probably pumping the ball, giving it fuel but no oil, after a minute or so the no oil alarm sounds. Sounds like you need a new fuel pump.