Overheated outboard query...

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi,

I am looking at buying an 225 hp v6 for a ridiculous price because the engine overheated. The current owner was told that it will cost to much to repair it so he'd be better selling it for parts.
My question is ... can all overheated engines be repaired ? if so what are the worst case senarios...

I have the time to do it bit by bit and am not in a rush to have it going.. this baby would make my boat that little bit special... am i just day dreaming here, is this a lost cause or is it worth having a look at??

have a little knowledge about engines but wouldn't be brilliant. I am a believer though in getting the manual and learning all about the engine...

Anybody got any advice it will be welcomed....

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Overheated outboard query...

Edit, just realized it was a JohhnyRude post... I was thinkin merc. Give Chris Carson at Chris Carson Marine a call, he can help you with this question. Tell him Steve Schefer referred you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First off get an OMC factory service manual, Not Seloc or Clymer. Then start tearing the mtr down to find out what's wrong after doing a compression test. Any mtr that has overheated can be repaired. It could be as simple as blown head gaskets. Then get back to us here.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Wait, I don't know the year of the motor but weren't the 225's Fitch's? If it is, I'd let someone else have it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fish, get the model# off of it and post it. I'll bet it's not a Ficht. OMC built carbed 225's for many years.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What's the prob if it is a Ficht?? are they useless models ?