Help! Removing trim assembly on a johnson 48

mstead

Cadet
Hi. I am so glad I found this forum as you guys are really knowledgable from the threads I have read. I have a 1994 Johnson 48 spl that came on the back of a boat I recently bought mainly for the hull. Seller said he did not know the condition of the motor as he was selling it for a local yacht club. It had been sitting unused since hurricane K. I hit it with starting spray and it cranked right up after 8 or 9 attempts so I got lucky in that respect. I tested the tilt/trim before removing it from the boat to do hull work and it did trim up and down but I could hear a kind of sucking or gurgling sound. Now that I have it trimmed up by using the release, it will not stay up with the release closed. I immediately assumed that the seals were bad in the reservoir and found a kit to do it as the local Johnson shop said labor alone would be NO LESS than $270 to do it and also the fact that it is off of the boat. Now my issue is how to get the assembly out of there. I have the motor on a stand and raised up by using release valve and have it propped with a floor jack. Can someone tell me the steps for removing it to do this work? I did find the whisker pin looking thing at the top of the rod and removed it but don't know exactly where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! Removing trim assembly on a johnson 48

Before you go there, Ill assume you first topped up the fluid and bled it of air right?

mstead

Cadet

Actually, I haven't. The reason that I went straight after the seals idea is because after trimming up and down, there is trim fluid visible on top of the reservoir. Also, because it will no longer stay up even with the release closed, it reinforced my idea that it was the seals. Does this make sense? Trim fluid is cheap if you think that may be the only issue. Thanks in advance!

mstead

Cadet

Okay. I added trim fluid as you suggested and it works flawlessly now however fluid is leaking from the top of the "ram housing" so I definately have a seal issue. Do you have any pointers on getting the assembly off? The threaded rod will not budge and is not corroded at all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The treaded rod is not your only prob. There is a pin in the top of the ram and that can also be a real bear. If this mtr has been in salt water it's even worse. Unless you have the right tools it's not a DIYer job. Been there and done that.