Surge Brakes

Sparke

Seaman Apprentice
This is probably a stupid question, but I did a search on surge brakes and didnt find to much. My question is I am pretty sure mine do not work and was wondering if there is a resource as to repairs. The trailer is a 1988 shorelander roller style. Has two axles and that's about all I can tell you about it.
Thanks for the Help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Surge Brakes

There are only two major components for a surge brake system. 1) The coupler (the surge unit/master cyliinder) and 2) the brake assembly on each wheel. The first thing to check should be the master cylinder fluid level. If it's empty, you may as well consider a total rebuild of the system as with no fluid, rust and scale have formed in the system and it is now junk. Total disassembly will make it evident if rebuilding or replacement is required. That includes inspection of the hydraulic lines as well. Do not replace a master cylinder and wheel cylinders without thoroughly flushing or replacing the lines or you will be doing the job again. Before you do all of this, fill the resevoir, bleed the brakes and try it. You may get lucky. It may also be that the brakes merely need adjusting. Lots of info on-line on how to do that.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

This is probably a stupid question..........

If there's one thing I've learned on this site its "no questions are stupid"! The other thing I've learned is that every single member here will help you no matter how small you think the problem is.

There are a good many sites that offer complete surge brake systems that are pretty simple to install as well as very reasonably priced. I purchased a set from www.eastermarine.com and had the brakes installed in less than a full weekend. Most of them come with complete instructions that will guide you through everything.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Here's something else to consider. I have surge brakes on my trailer that are currently not working. I towed it last summer with no issues and never felt the least bit nervous about stopping because I have a big tow vehicle. However, my trailer is right at the weight that requires braking in Arkansas, so I'm going to address the situation before we start heading out for the lake this year. I have found that I can pay a trailer place (I know, gasp:eek:) to convert to electric braking for half the cost of having them rebuild or replace the surge system that's on there now. Compared to rebuilding or replacing the current system myself, which I'm not comfy doing any way, hence the trailer place, the cost is the same. Just something to think about as you pencil whip the problem.

floats around

Recruit

There are only two major components for a surge brake system. 1) The coupler (the surge unit/master cyliinder) and 2) the brake assembly on each wheel. The first thing to check should be the master cylinder fluid level. If it's empty, you may as well consider a total rebuild of the system as with no fluid, rust and scale have formed in the system and it is now junk. Total disassembly will make it evident if rebuilding or replacement is required. That includes inspection of the hydraulic lines as well. Do not replace a master cylinder and wheel cylinders without thoroughly flushing or replacing the lines or you will be doing the job again. Before you do all of this, fill the resevoir, bleed the brakes and try it. You may get lucky. It may also be that the brakes merely need adjusting. Lots of info on-line on how to do that.

Would like to add one thing.... cause this became important during my fix. (first post too, been lurking for years!)

In addition to the master cylinder, brake lines, shoes, adjustment, drum brake hardware and individual wheel cylinders, there is / are the shock(s) that compress and subsequently activate the master cylinder. The shocks, I assume contribute to the moniker of surge....

Surge brakes are a "system".

Make sure you check the functionality of the shocks. Mine were toast. Could tell cause of the "slam" when applying the brakes on the tow vehicle. Needless to say, this caused immediate excessive mechanical force, pressure on the master cylinder which blew out. I think some systems have a pressure relief valve? Took out a wheel cylinder too (found that out during bleeding after replacing the shocks and master). I rebuilt all 4 wheel cylinders as well. All is fine now! Best to you...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The shock absorber on a surge brake system does not "activate" the system. It is there to "dampen" any oscillation that may develop during the braking process. Without it, attempts to slow down would result in the actuator applying braking force. The trailer then attempts to pull away slightly from the tow vehicle thus releasiing the brakes, only to repeat the process. The shock cushions (prevents) that from happening.