Do I need trailer brakes?

aaskybabe

Recruit
Hi All,

My husband just purchased a 2003 Keywest 1900 center console with a yamaha 115hp motor and it's on a single axle Shorelandr trailer. We are towing it with my truck... 2010 Nissan Frontier V6 2WD (Towing capacity 6100#).

Here are the weights:

Boat : 1600 lbs empty
motor: 402 lbs
trailer: 700 lbs (this is an estimate after looking at the shorelandr website)
Fuel: 31 gallon (186 lbs... I'm guessing)
Total: 2888 lbs

The owners manual in my truck says you must have trailer brakes if its over 3500 lbs.

Ok so do I need trailer brakes? Or will my truck be ok... I just want to know what the general opinion is about wear and tear on the truck.

Thanks for any advice...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I need trailer brakes?

My opinion only.....you don't NEED them. However, they are always a good idea.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm with ez. Most states require brakes on anything over 3k lbs., so you're probably legal, although the only way to be sure is to locate the specific law in your state, whatever state that may be. However, since you're driving a mid-sized pickemup it would be a wise investment IMHO.

aaskybabe

Recruit

The max in Florida is 3000 lbs without brakes. So I am legal... it's mostly a question of what will it do to my truck. I've owned /towed boats before but I had a Toyota Tundra V8 then... so I never gave it a second thought. :)

oldjeep

Admiral

The max in Florida is 3000 lbs without brakes. So I am legal... it's mostly a question of what will it do to my truck. I've owned /towed boats before but I had a Toyota Tundra V8 then... so I never gave it a second thought. :)

It'll put some increased wear on your brakes. The big question is do you feel confident that you can stop it if you have to? We towed our 3K boat/trailer with a Kia Sorrento for a while and I never had any concerns with its braking ability - the Kia had some really big disc brakes on it. Another thing to think about is where do you tow? If it is at freeway speeds then brakes become a bit more important. If you are just running at 30mph to the local launch then not as big a deal.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

You've got some estimated weights in there, plus it doesn't sound like you've accounted for icechests, anchor(s), fishing gear, battery(s), kicker, spare on the trailer frame, etc. You're gonna be pretty darned close to (if not over) 3000lb, I suggest you go get your rig weighed.

Splat

Lieutenant

Personally nearing #3000 behind any truck I would add brakes. Prolly ok without them, but just....

If it were me I'd slap a set of brakes on it just to be safe. Panic stops can get a little hairy with that much weight.

Bill

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. Little benefit, added expense, added item to maintain and go wrong. Do you sink your trailer? In salt water?
A Key West is a fairly light boat, compared to other styles.

It depends on how comfortable you are driving the rig as is. Adding brakes may or may not make it better. Also depends on your typical use: long trips, highway with sudden stops, hills all make an argument to get brakes, but even still you are fine without them. Give it a year. Look for an opportunity to drive one with brakes.

Oh, and welcome to Iboats. I hope you two enjoy your boat. I have a 1988 Key West 17' dual console that I've had since my dad bought it new.

NavyChief

Cadet

Personally i would not bother with brakes. I'd just drive carefully. I've seen and heard nothing good about breaks and boat trailers. Personal preference i guess.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe anyone who has any knowledge or experience towing boats, particularly possibly 3K lb., with a compact pickup, saying such mfglhshfku ratzakratza nonsense.

I've seen and heard nothing good about breaks and boat trailers. What garbage!

Listen, aaskybabe. Put brakes on that trailer. You probably need them to be legal and you would be in constant danger without them.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll get plenty of opinions here. I have two trailers with brakes and two without. I definately prefer the two with. One time I 'tried' to stop at a regular intersection at slow speed and slid quite a way with the trailer pushing me. There was a car wash at that corner and I think it was the tire shine they applied built up right at the intersection that was slick.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a sticky at the top of this forum indicating the GVWR and brake requirements by state. One pound over the requirement without brakes and an ambulance chasing attorney will have a field day with you and your insurance company regardless who caused the crash. Note that I didn't say accident! Collisions are not accidents -- someone caused it.

FlyGuy65

Cadet

I'm a novice, not an expert, so I'll just phrase this as 'this is my story...'

I towed a SeaRay 175 for 1 season without brakes and hated every minute of it. Slid through an intersection once. Just finished installing Kodiak disks a month ago. Absolute pain in the butt finding the right size, info, etc. Shorelander was of minimal help. But... trailering now is a pleasure! I don't feel the boat at all when stopping. On the first test run I had to make a quick stop, and it was easy! Now, I don't know if it's the actual brakes, or the shock-absorber like effect of the surge coupler, or my own imagination wanting 3 months of work to pay off. In any case, I'm very happy at this point.

Good luck!

Last edited:

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd put brakes on. You can drive carefully, but others won't. I think the majority of traffic collisions people towing are in are caused by some moron that did something stupid. I think the biggest question is are you willing to take a chance on not having them and risk something happening? It is an extra expense, but I tend to be ok with safety related expenses. Many people here cite the law & they're right, but I'd err on side of safety.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I wonder how Nissan possibly comes up with 6100# capacity for towing on this vehicle. That is crazy. I wouldn't tow much more than 3500# with it.

NYBo

Admiral

I wonder how Nissan possibly comes up with 6100# capacity for towing on this vehicle. That is crazy. I wouldn't tow much more than 3500# with it.
This ain't your old-school Nissan Hardbody Pickup.

oldjeep

Admiral

I had a 4.0L Ranger that was rated for over 6K and would tow it with ease. Even mid sized pickups and SUV's have more power and better brakes than old school 3/4 ton pickups.

G

Our Canadian laws state that " Any trailler and or boat combination that weighs over 2000 lbs when loaded MUST be equiped with brakes either electric or hydraylic" Guess in the USA you can do what ever the state say is legal. As long as you don't intend to tow it in Canada you might be ok, just don't let smokey catch you :eek: Tickets will be flying in your direction real fast. :facepalm: