How do I remove the Stereo from Carver 250

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ready to install new radio-----time to upgrade from cassette to cd mp aux etc.... sorry for the poor picture best I could find at the moment anyhow you can see where the arrow is pointing the radio is mounted into the wall

The only way I can see to remove the radio is by
1. Removing the switch panel that controls everything on the boat (not sure I want to do this)

2. I know there are tabs that hold the radio in place and I am thinking I could maybe try to bend them and get the radio out.

I also noticed reception on the water is terrible and there is no external antenna so I assume the mounted the antenna under the deck?

I would also like to add a cigarette lighter near the radio for charging the phone.....any idea of which wire I could tie into ?

Attachments

• Radio1.jpg
    Radio1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: How do I remove the Stereo from Carver 250

Its impossible to tell from your photo, but typically you are correct there should be tabs around the front face of the stereo, the problem is there should also be a stud at the rear of the radio for mounting a rear brace so removing the panel may be needed, its also pretty common to not install an antenna on the stereo so be advised you may not find one. Adding an accy. power point is simple, tapping into another wire is a horrible idea though, I understand you only want to use it for a cell charger but that is rarely the reality, if you already have the switch panel out you will most likely find a suitable buss to use for the power and ground wires of the accy. port.

This will get moved by a Mod to the electrical section, once there please research the numerous threads for common wiring additions to your boat, you will find you are in a very common situation. Also please remember to Fuse your accy. point properly

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Uggg I forgot about the back of the radio having a tab.....looks like my only option is to remove the panel......I was hoping I would not have to do that but,,,,based on what I have seen there is probably no other way....mods move as needed

Why would you not put an antenna on the radio? I understand lakes reflect reception so that is a dicey deal anyway but,,,,,an antenna should help right?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah an antenna would help, I have no idea why some don't just what I have found, sometimes they will just lay it up in the wiring harness behind the Gunwhale sometimes not

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You didn't have a good enough pic to descern, but if you remove the radio faceplate, sometimes the radio bodies are equipped with slots on the sides that the removal tools slide into (available at wal-mart if you don't have them). Then the radio just pulls out of the metal housing.

There may just be a "black wire" antenna on the back of the radio which is just stuffed behind & inside the cabinet. There might also be a splitter which shares the VHF radio antenna. Won't know until you pull the head unit.

As Lipp stated, run new 10 gauge wires for any 12v accessory outlet, and add a fuse. You might just want a cell charger now, but later (or the next owner) may be plugging in a 12v-110v converter. You don't want to be responsible for the soon to follow fire.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea those guys in Chicago sold me the radio said they had no idea how to install one:eek::eek: I bought one today and guess what they now come with USB and you can charge and listen to your IPHONE at the same time.....so now no need for cigarette lighter....besides that might encourage bad behavior on the boat :rolleyes:

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

For future reference here are a couple pics and a sort of how to for removing the radio on this vessel

I could have pulled the radio straight out as it was not attached in the back. Wiggle it back and forth and it should come out but, if not you can take out a few screws located to the left of the radio which, allows the entire area to move out about 7 inches or enough for you to reach behind and release any wires that might be hanging up.

As you can see in pic I removed the control panel (term?) anyhow I pulled it out first then realized taking the screws out on the left hand side (when facing radio) was the better option....anyhow you get the idea and I have my new TUNES to jam to

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0