Engine alignment troubles - due to fiber washers?

henderd

Cadet
Hi Folks,<br /><br />I'm putting a rebuilt engine back in my 23' Maxum (7.4L), Bravo I. I bought this as a project, without the outdrive and with an engine-turned-anchor (so I'm not sure how well aligned it was to begin with). I replaced the gimbal bearing, and it seems to be relatively well lined up with the back of the coupler - but I'd say it probably had to be angled down a bit from the original position. Now, I have the front engine mounts cranked all the way down, and I'm just starting to get close (alignment tool goes in only about 3/8", then stops dead). I think all is in place (e.g. the double lock washer on the rear mounts). Does this sound like worn fiber washers? Should I replace the mounts themselves also (looks difficult without yanking the engine again)? Are these things that typically wear?<br /><br />Someone said alignment can turn you into an alcoholic - I concur :)<br /><br />Thanks for any advice

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine alignment troubles - due to fiber washers?

If your using an alignment bar Tool,it must go all the way into the coupler,with very little drag.<br />I assume your chking this with the outdrive off with the new gimble in place. if your all the way down with the mounts in the front,something is not right!<br />Not sure about the washers your talking about.<br />I've done v6's,v8's but no big v8 blocks!<br /><br />Rich

henderd

Cadet

Thanks Rich - Yes, the outdrive is off and the new gimbal bearing is in place. The fiber washers are part of the rear engine mounts (bell housing to transom). There was no obvious wear, so I left them "as is". As you say, something isn't quite right. My best guess is that there is something fishy with the rear engine mounts, dropping the coupler a bit too low.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know about your engine mount configuration, but I do know that rotted out stringers can cause this problem.

henderd

Cadet

Problem solved. Turns out I had passed the correct alignment point on the way down and actually had the front of the engine a bit too low. The way I found this out was to go to Lowes and buy a 1" wood dowel (taking care to get one as straight as possible). I was able to slide this into the coupler without any problem, then eyeball where the dowel needed to go to be centered in the gimbal bearing. The regular alignment tool made it clear I wasn't in the right position, but it was difficult to know which way to go.<br /><br />Thanks for your posts!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's a good idea about the dowel - thanks for sharing. (Info like that helps guys when they do a search for a similiar problem. Sometimes we forget to post the solutions to our problems!)