Impeller not pumping

lookupsayaw

Banned
I have an old outboard im fixing up. I replaced the hoses and impeller. I took off the heads and I didnt see any real blockage. My impeller is pumping just dribbles. Is it possible to install this the wrong way? Also I did NOT replace the seals and gaskets, should I?

lookupsayaw

Banned
Re: Impeller not pumping

Yes the screen is clean. I blew air threw the copper tube and had no restriction. I have two covers for the intake, One that has that screen and another with a garden hose fitting. And when I have the garden hose one hooked up and try cranking it. It seems all of that water is just coming back down and barely going to the motor. Only dribbles comes out of the exhaust.

yorab

Ensign

There are two intake ports on that motor. One is on the side and I think that you have the garden hose connector attached to that. I remember somebody posting a pic of that. Was that you? Also, the main inlet is on the bottom, above the prop facing the front of the boat. If you are connecting the hose to the side inlet without blocking the bottom inlet, then the water will just flow out the bottom. How is yours set up?

yorab

Ensign

Another thing is that there is a small hole in the shorter inlet pipe that is meant to allow cooling water into the exhaust housing to cool the shift wires. Even if you have a restriction somewhere in the motor, air will bleed from that cooling hole. Perhaps you can cover that hole and try the air test again. Also, you could blow air in a reverse path into the head-to-thermostat connectors and see what you get.

lookupsayaw

Banned

Yea, thats how its set up. I did put it in a bucket and hooked up hose but that water level was below where the LU bolts up to exhaust housing, so just below the water pump. That would cause it to not pump right?

mstead

Cadet

My motor isn't that old but I replaced the entire water pump system last week and it didn't pump. I walked back into the shed and realized that I had not reinstalled the key so I tore the $%@#@ thing back apart and put the key in and then it pumped fine on the ears.

yorab

Ensign

If it's in a bucket, make sure that the water level is above the level of the pump, i.e., above the lower-unit-to-exhaust-housing mating line. I bit higher won't hurt anything. Is your bucket deep enough?

lookupsayaw

Banned

no I only had a small bucket that water level was below that line. I know thats stupid but thats probably why its not pumping and why its getting hot within a min. right?

yorab

Ensign

That's most likely the reason. You could severely damage the motor by running without cooling water flowing. Do yourself a favor and find a bigger bucket or take it to a lake. You won't even have to disconnect from the trailer; just get the *** end deep enough to start the motor safely.